The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 12:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Nervous is the wrong word. Excited (to the point of goosebumps when talking about it) more accurately describes my feelings.
"Nervous" to me means you are worried, concerned or scared what is going to happen in the game. I have not been that in so long I cannot remember when I was last nervous to work a game. That is what experience does, it calms you are makes you realize that some things you do not have to worry about because you have done this 1000 times before.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 04:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
"Nervous" to me means you are worried, concerned or scared what is going to happen in the game. I have not been that in so long I cannot remember when I was last nervous to work a game. That is what experience does, it calms you are makes you realize that some things you do not have to worry about because you have done this 1000 times before.

Peace
Funny that you say 1000.

I did a double header of youth games today and one guy in the crowd did everything he could to centre himself out. He then yelled out "[if I] had ever done this before."

So I did a quick count between downs: it's possible that I'm up near 1,000 football games in my career.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

I did use nervous in my OP. As several of you have stated it is more an excited and pumped. Can't wait to get there and get going.
Old Sat Aug 28, 2010, 09:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballref View Post
I did use nervous in my OP. As several of you have stated it is more an excited and pumped. Can't wait to get there and get going.
Both of those are good words to use describing the first game.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

This is my 8th season as an official, my 3rd as the referee on Firday night. This is the first season I have not gotten nervous before a game. Now I still get as excitted as I ever have...it's just that I think my abilities and confidence have finally gotten to the place where I know I can go out and work a good game. I'm no longer bothered by the nagging feeling of "what will I screw up tonight" but rather "what new thing will I get to see tonight". But then again, I'm the white hat and anyone will teel you that we have the easiest job ont he field, so I suppose I may not be the best person comment on this.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2010, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

This is my seventh year, and fourth as a fulltime wing official on Fridays. I always get very excited and love every bit of Friday -- at work anticipating the game, driving there, picking me up a source of caffeine, dressing out, having pregame, walking the field, working the game, talking about it afterward, getting something to eat, watching area highlights. And at some point I get to sleep, but it takes a long time to get wired back down.