The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Simulated Fumble Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58839-simulated-fumble-foul.html)

Reffing Rev. Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:18am

Simulated Fumble Foul

4th and 5 at B's 25. A1 running near the sideline at B21 realizing he's going down before the line to gain simulates a fumble by pitching the ball forward, the LJ correctly flags an illegal forward pass. The "fumbled" ball bounces around and then B1 picks the ball up off the ground at the B30 and runs for an apparent touchdown.

Question 1: Can B keep the touchdown?
Question 2: Can B keep the touchdown and enforce the penalty on the try or subsequent kickoff.
Question 3: If B cannot keep the touchdown, where can B take the ball?
Question 4: When does the ball become dead?

Explain.

tomes1978 Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19am

I'm a knew official and this is my first post, but here goes.

I say the ball becomes dead when it hits the ground. 7-5-5. B would take possession of the ball because the penalty is 5 yards and the loss of down. First and 10 for B at their 30.

EDIT:
OK maybe enforcement from the spot of the illegal pass (B's 21). So first and 10 B from thier 26.

mbyron Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomes1978 (Post 688688)

EDIT:
OK maybe enforcement from the spot of the illegal pass (B's 21). So first and 10 B from thier 26.

+1

If it's given that this is an illegal forward pass, then the pass is incomplete when it touches the ground.

Have fun explaining to the B coach why he can't have the TD.

AUgrad2006 Sat Aug 14, 2010 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 688698)
Have fun explaining to the B coach why he can't have the TD.

Well hopefully the same LJ who recognizes it as an IFP also blows it dead when it hits the ground and long before B runs it all the way to A's goal line.

I know that doesn't always happen though!

JugglingReferee Sat Aug 14, 2010 07:13pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 688685)
4th and 5 at B's 25. A1 running near the sideline at B21 realizing he's going down before the line to gain simulates a fumble by pitching the ball forward, the LJ correctly flags an illegal forward pass. The "fumbled" ball bounces around and then B1 picks the ball up off the ground at the B30 and runs for an apparent touchdown.

Question 1: Can B keep the touchdown?
Question 2: Can B keep the touchdown and enforce the penalty on the try or subsequent kickoff.
Question 3: If B cannot keep the touchdown, where can B take the ball?
Question 4: When does the ball become dead?

Explain.

CANADIAN RULING:

It's reasonable that A1 knows he's past the LS, so therefore A1's "forward fumble" is ruled as an offside pass subject to penalty.

B1 can in fact recover and advance. Therefore, B scores a TD.
There is no penalty as A did not recover the "forward fumble".