The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Losa Ball in own endzone NF case book 8.5.1 Sit D (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58701-losa-ball-own-endzone-nf-case-book-8-5-1-sit-d.html)

kfo9494 Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:20pm

Losa Ball in own endzone NF case book 8.5.1 Sit D

Play-- It is first down and 10 on A's 3. Runner A1 fumbles on his 2-yard line. B1 intentionally kicks the loose ball which is: (a) on A's 2; or (b) in the end zone. the ball then goes out of bounds behind the goal line. RULING; Undoubtedly, Team A will decline the penalty in (a) and take the touchback. A will accept the penalty in (b) because declining it would give B a safety.
>

In (b) is the the goal-line the spot of enforcement for measuring the penalty?

Welpe Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494 (Post 686759)

Ask yourself first, what type of play is this? Apply All but one and you have your answer.

mbyron Tue Jul 27, 2010 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 686762)
Ask yourself first, what type of play is this? Apply All but one and you have your answer.

I think you also need 10-4-7. ;)

Welpe Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 686786)
I think you also need 10-4-7. ;)

But the run did not end in the end zone.

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:15pm

Quote:

Play-- It is first down and 10 on A's 3. Runner A1 fumbles on his 2-yard line. B1 intentionally kicks the loose ball which is: (a) on A's 2; or (b) in the end zone. the ball then goes out of bounds behind the goal line. RULING; Undoubtedly, Team A will decline the penalty in (a) and take the touchback. A will accept the penalty in (b) because declining it would give B a safety.
>

I don't work FED, but in A, if the penalty is declined, is this not also a safety? Without the penalty, you have a fumble in the field of play that travels out of bounds in the endzone. Safety, right?

Welpe Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:33pm

Mike, it's the same as in NCAA. An illegal kick on a grounded loose ball puts a new force (impetus) on the ball. B is responsible for putting the ball in the endzone.

mbyron Tue Jul 27, 2010 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 686795)
But the run did not end in the end zone.

Oops. Misread that. :o

AUgrad2006 Tue Jul 27, 2010 06:19pm

Quote:

To answer your question, no. As Welpe said, the first thing to ask is what type of play. This is a loose-ball play as defined in 10-3-1c (fumble behind the LOS). The basic spot for a penalty occurring during a loose ball play is the previous spot per 10-4-2b. The foul was not by the offense so all-but-one does not apply. Therefore, it would be 1st-and-10 for A from their 18 yard line.

gtwbam Tue Jul 27, 2010 06:26pm

kfo9494
In the second part of your question, where A1 fumbles on his 2 yard line.
Then B1 intentionally kicks the loose ball which is already in the end zone, then goes out of bounds behind the goal line.

The ruling is based on the fact that the Fumble was the Force that put the ball in the end zone. Loose ball Play. Since the force which put the ball in the end zone is A1's fumble, the result of the play is a safety. Team A will undoubtedly accept the 15 yard penalty which is enforced from Teams A's 3 yard line, which is the previous spot. Hope that helps.

kfo9494 Wed Jul 28, 2010 09:56am

Guys thanks alot!
I thought I was getting along well in the rules and then I find out that I do not know as much as I first thought.
>
So- it is a loose ball play and the penalty is from the Previous spot. The fact that A lost possession behind the previous spot does not apply.

Welpe Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494 (Post 686883)
So- it is a loose ball play and the penalty is from the Previous spot. The fact that A lost possession behind the previous spot does not apply.

Actually that fact is quite relevant as that is what makes this play a loose ball play and not a running play.

ajmc Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11am

[QUOTE=kfo9494;686883]Guys thanks alot!
I thought I was getting along well in the rules and then I find out that I do not know as much as I first thought.
QUOTE]

Welcome to the club. We've been looking for a place to hold an annual convention, but can't seem to find a stadium big enough to hold our growing membership.