The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Mechinics: Beding at the waist (https://forum.officiating.com/football/58513-mechinics-beding-waist.html)

procivil Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:56am

Mechinics: Beding at the waist

One of the senior members of our officials board gave me advice that Im not sure is a matter of preference or an established convention. In playing wing and back judge, I will bend forward at the waist whenever critical action is occuring right in front of me: eg a pass in the endzone, runner leaping across the goal line with exteded arm, etc. I think I am doing this to feel better planted and a natural reflex to trying to focus. I dont do it on every play, but it's clear that I do it in these critical situations.

Id appreciate your thoughts on this subject. Should I take my colleague's advice and eliminate it? or can I continue?

JasonTX Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30am

If you can get some film of both college and professional games you will see that in those games. Such as a pass going toward the sideline the official will stop, get a wide base with the feet and get low so that he has a good view. I think it helps you focus better than if you are just standing straight up. Whatever you have to do to get the best view and angle to get the call right is what matters. With that said, I don't think it looks good to just be bending over all the time. Such as the wing officials prior to the snap bending over. It gives the appearance that he is "hunting" for something.

With_Two_Flakes Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:44am

Agree 100% with JasonTX about bending forward before the snap. It gives the wrong impression and my opinion is that it is not a good way to be ready to move if needed.
I think it can certainly help before the snap with Umpires. Leaning forward a little can help to stop Umpires being skittish and dancing around on running plays. Pivoting on the spot to watch a run go past you is fine, but moving about too much on a run may lead to you getting accidentally hit by players who are trying to get past you to make a tackle.

Personally I try not to do it at the end of a play as I was picked up on this by a Div 1 official at a clinic scrimmage. His attitude was to be stood upright and always ready to move - "you don't know what will happen next so be ready to react to whatever might happen".

But at the end of the day whatever works for you and helps you cover a play to the best of your ability is fine, as long as you are ready for the unexpected :D

ajmc Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by procivil (Post 683925)
One of the senior members of our officials board gave me advice that Im not sure is a matter of preference or an established convention. In playing wing and back judge, I will bend forward at the waist whenever critical action is occuring right in front of me: eg a pass in the endzone, runner leaping across the goal line with exteded arm, etc. I think I am doing this to feel better planted and a natural reflex to trying to focus. I dont do it on every play, but it's clear that I do it in these critical situations.

Id appreciate your thoughts on this subject. Should I take my colleague's advice and eliminate it? or can I continue?

Personally, I believe you being comfortable in how you approach certain situations is far more important than how you might look to others. Unless your motions are truly outrageous, if they are instinctive and natural for you, and contribute to your doing your best work, I wouldn't worry about minute micro management, even if intended to be constructive. The fact you are considering the advice may generate some reactive moderation, which if comfortable to you, may be beneficial.

Although many try and force our craft into a rigid "one size fits all" the pursuit of consistency can become counterproductive if it extends into robotics or resistance to natural tendencies.

JRutledge Thu Jul 01, 2010 04:41pm

I mainly bend over if I need to get an angle to see the play. No other reason in my opinion to do this on a regular basis or even just in a situation where focus is needed. This is just one of these "camp" things that people suggest to do but does not work for everyone.

Peace