The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 20, 2010, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Movie: Blindside

Me and the wife just getting home from the movies and I noticed the football movies thread. I'm surprised to see no threads for the movie Blindside. If you like the football movie "Radio" you'll love this one. An awesome movie!!! I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone and won't. But, with spring scrimmages right around the corner and with tons of snow outside there's not much to do...so do yourself a favor and check this one out. Well worth the $$$. And, it's CURRENT...no more hints. Enjoy!
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

I watched it this weekend, and liked it. It is a little simplistic - but I would say maybe old fashion.
Big criticism - the officials are portrayed to be idiots. Mechanics when they are in the background are not so great but can be lived with, but when they are involved in the story it is to have them be bad guys.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 06:52am
Chain of Fools

We discussed this on the Fed board....

Atlanta Blue has a cameo role
NFHS Forum: Go see The Blind Side
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I have to agree with this critic!

The Blind Side : Film Review : By Tony Macklin at tonymacklin.net
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I'm not impressed with the critic, and I haven't seen the film. All I know from his piece is "it's not accurate." Other than the fact that 11 siblings were omitted from the movie, what's not accurate.

Frankly, my freshman English teacher (in high school) would have expected more of this critic.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you make a comment if you haven't seen the film. The critic was spot on with his analysis of the movie even though it was a great "Story" it should not be advertised as true!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Why would you make a comment if you haven't seen the film. The critic was spot on with his analysis of the movie even though it was a great "Story" it should not be advertised as true!
I'm criticizing the critique on its form not its accuracy. He tells me the film is inaccurate. Not only does he avoid stating how this film's inaccuracy is worse than other similarly life-based films, he doesn't bother citing any actual inaccuracy other than the number of siblings the protagonist has.

Frankly, the review lacked any real substance and relied on a bunch of half-witty one liners. It's obvious he didn't like it and even his acknowledgment that audiences did comes off as a backhanded insult of the audiences.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

But if you saw the movie you would know EXACTLY what he is talking about.

He did site many other inaccuracies.

In a tale of prevailing over grit and dirt, there's no grit or dirt. Although Big Mike often lives on the streets in bad weather, he is nearly immaculate. As Joe Biden might say, he's very clean.

In The Blind Side, Mike's mother is a crack cocaine addict, but a nice one. In actuality Mike was one of thirteen children, but in the movie he only has one brother. It's a telling metaphor. In the movie about 11/13's of reality is cut out.

I even said as I was watching it, "you don't drive a mercedes into that project and just walk into one of those apartments not a pretty white lady for sure, and then threaten to use your gun! Come on, Man!"
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But if you saw the movie you would know EXACTLY what he is talking about.

He did site many other inaccuracies.

In a tale of prevailing over grit and dirt, there's no grit or dirt. Although Big Mike often lives on the streets in bad weather, he is nearly immaculate. As Joe Biden might say, he's very clean.

In The Blind Side, Mike's mother is a crack cocaine addict, but a nice one. In actuality Mike was one of thirteen children, but in the movie he only has one brother. It's a telling metaphor. In the movie about 11/13's of reality is cut out.

I even said as I was watching it, "you don't drive a mercedes into that project and just walk into one of those apartments not a pretty white lady for sure, and then threaten to use your gun! Come on, Man!"
In the movie, he does say he is one of 13. So the criticism cites things that aren't even wrong in the movie. It is definitely not a dark gritty movie though (wouldn't have been particularly good if it was).
________
Effects Of Prilosec

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 07:14pm.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Only one of those things is a factual inaccuracy (the sibling issue). Surely if the inaccuracies were that important to the story, he could come up with something more factual than how clean the kid is or how nice his crack-addict mother is. Good grief.
The artistic issues, I may or may not agree with once I see it. But that's what they are, artistic differences.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
In the movie, he does say he is one of 13. So the criticism cites things that aren't even wrong in the movie. It is definitely not a dark gritty movie though (wouldn't have been particularly good if it was).
LMAO. So you're saying that this film critic doesn't get his facts straight in a review in which the main focus is the film's lack of accuracy? That's just classic!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 02:00pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's obvious he didn't like it and even his acknowledgment that audiences did comes off as a backhanded insult of the audiences.
Oh but come on Snaqs, audiences only love movies...critics are in love with movies. Excuse me while I go throw up.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the NFHS rules writers!

LOL!

In the movie this lady tells a gang banger to leave the kid alone or she will come back and bring her gun!

The Coaches were rolling in to visit during Michaels High school season, I think Phil Fulmer and the boys were a bit busy at that time.

There were lots of those kinds of inaccuracies. When you go, no way, oh well it is just a movie! Smile!
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 02:13pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:

In the movie this lady tells a gang banger to leave the kid alone or she will come back and bring her gun!
At least get the scene right.

She informed the banger not to threaten her or her family because she is always packing. Quite a bit different really.
Old Wed Feb 24, 2010, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Sheesh... it wasn't a friggin' documentary! Anyone over the age of 10 (and quite a few below the age of 10) knows that "based on a true story" means "just about anything other than the very basic premise is subject to change and probably has been changed".