Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 31, 2002, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Guys,

What is your procedures, on equipment trouble, as in:
player looks at me with helmet problems, and wants an official T.O. to fix it, I send him off field and tell coach he needs a sub, which he responds, sub still hasn't come on field, I blow ready for play. Def. calls T.O., coach thought I should wait all day. What would you do. At our clinic, we was told to send player off field, no off. T.O. I felt like we should at least give him suff. time to replace, but at the same time, not to take all day.

Thanks for replys....
Old Sat Aug 31, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1 Section ART. 5 . . . When any required player equipment is missing or when illegal equipment is found, correction shall be made before participation. An official's time-out shall be declared to permit prompt repair of equipment which becomes illegal or defective through use.

This allows a player's equipment to be repaired on the field.

Rule 3 Section 5 ART. 2 . . . A charged team time-out occurs when the ball is dead and:

b. The repair of faulty player equipment requires the assistance of a team attendant or attendants, or which, without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play signal for more than 25 seconds.

This give you a specific period of time to give them to fix the equipment and the remedy if they take too long.

Rule 3 Section 5 ART. 6 . . . If repair of equipment without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play signal for more than 25 seconds, or requires the assistance of a team attendant(s) and the player's team has used all permissible time-outs, the player shall be replaced for at least one down.

And the remedy when they run out of time-outs.

So I see it as follows:
Call the official's T.O.
Give them 25 seconds (or so) to fix the problem.
After time has elapsed have the player call a time-out or leave the field.

Hope that helps
Old Sat Aug 31, 2002, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to otis3zeb Send a message via Yahoo to otis3zeb
Talking Thank you!!

I guess that is basically what I did. except for actually declaring it to the press box. Which I will do. ?? How did you find that info so quick, and add it to the post like that. Luv this site!!!!!!
Old Sat Aug 31, 2002, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

You can either type it, which is the slow way, or you can copy and paste it from the ARS CD.
Old Sat Aug 31, 2002, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You can either type it, which is the slow way, or you can copy and paste it from the ARS CD.
Which is what I did. Definitely a good learning tool.
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
When are they going to be mailing out the basketball CD?
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Supposed to be available this month.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOWB_Ref
Rule 1 Section ART. 5 . . . When any required player equipment is missing or when illegal equipment is found, correction shall be made before participation. An official's time-out shall be declared to permit prompt repair of equipment which becomes illegal or defective through use.

This allows a player's equipment to be repaired on the field.

Rule 3 Section 5 ART. 2 . . . A charged team time-out occurs when the ball is dead and:

b. The repair of faulty player equipment requires the assistance of a team attendant or attendants, or which, without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play signal for more than 25 seconds.

This give you a specific period of time to give them to fix the equipment and the remedy if they take too long.

Rule 3 Section 5 ART. 6 . . . If repair of equipment without the assistance of a team attendant delays the ready-for-play signal for more than 25 seconds, or requires the assistance of a team attendant(s) and the player's team has used all permissible time-outs, the player shall be replaced for at least one down.

And the remedy when they run out of time-outs.

So I see it as follows:
Call the official's T.O.
Give them 25 seconds (or so) to fix the problem.
After time has elapsed have the player call a time-out or leave the field.

Hope that helps
You also have to use a little bit of finesee.

If you see the star running back come to the line with his chin strap unbuckled, a 3rd and goal and the offense trailing by 1 with the clock running out.

Don't send the RB off! The coach will be screaming!!

Our place on the field is to have as little influence as possible on the outcome. Yes, the rule says, but do you really want to officiate by the rulebook!?

After 25 or so seconds tell him he can call a timeout if they have one available. Then the decision falls to the team, not you.

Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

If I send a player off because I/he can't repair his defective equipment within 25 seconds, I will wait for a replacement before blowing the RFP. I've not had a situation where this took "too" long of a time.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Work two states, WV and Ohio. We were advised not to assist with fixing equipment {Liability issues}. If player and/or teammate can't fix problem than do as other posts suggest.
Also what is the ARS CD and where is it available?
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

You also have to use a little bit of finesee.

If you see the star running back come to the line with his chin strap unbuckled, a 3rd and goal and the offense trailing by 1 with the clock running out.

Don't send the RB off! The coach will be screaming!!

Our place on the field is to have as little influence as possible on the outcome. Yes, the rule says, but do you really want to officiate by the rulebook!?

After 25 or so seconds tell him he can call a timeout if they have one available. Then the decision falls to the team, not you.

[/QUOTE]

I think I did use finesee.... If you read my post I gave them 25 seconds or so to correct the problem... then I gave them the option of calling the time out or leaving the field... I even led the statement with the time-out so they could keep the player if they want. I gave them the choice.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WVREF
Work two states, WV and Ohio. We were advised not to assist with fixing equipment {Liability issues}. If player and/or teammate can't fix problem than do as other posts suggest.
Also what is the ARS CD and where is it available?
We are the same way in Washington. I won't touch a kid's equipment.

The ARS CD is a study guide that asks you up the past five years test questions and gives you the relevant rule that governs the question (most of the time) it even has a penalty enforcement section that is brilliant.

you can find it at http://www.rules-study.com

Good luck!
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Let me clarify my assistance with player equipment. I will help a player "fix" is jersey to cover up his pads or help him snap his chin strap. I will also help him re connect the strap of his shoulder pads. These are all things which take little time, keep the game going, keep a key player in the game. Sure teammates could help them but I've found it to be faster and more efficient if I help them. If I can't do it in less than 25 seconds off they go.

I don't see any problem (liability) in doing this.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nvfoa15
Let me clarify my assistance with player equipment. I will help a player "fix" is jersey to cover up his pads or help him snap his chin strap. I will also help him re connect the strap of his shoulder pads. These are all things which take little time, keep the game going, keep a key player in the game. Sure teammates could help them but I've found it to be faster and more efficient if I help them. If I can't do it in less than 25 seconds off they go.

I don't see any problem (liability) in doing this.
At last year's NFHS rules meeting in Illinois, we were specifically told NOT to do these things for liability reasons. I've taken it to heart and won't help players with equipment problems.
Old Wed Sep 04, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

We were told the same thing last year. Don't touch any players equipment. Another player can do it else he leaves to have the coaching staff fix it.

All it takes is for that player to be injured and the video tapes the lawyers obtained show you Mr Official as the one who did some on field repairs.... well I leave the rest up to you because your butt is on the frying pan now.