The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Need explaination for illegal touching in NFC Championship

The last play of the first quarter in the NFC Championship game involved a punt. The kicking team player (New Orleans) when out of bounds while running to cover the kick; the official's hat was removed signifying that. The same player was the first to touch the ball and the official threw the flag for illegal touching.

However, the penalty was withdrawn with this explaination: "No foul on the play as the quarter expired prior to the man touching the ball."

How does time expiring during the punt change whether there was an illegal touching?
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

probably some obscure NFL rule or case.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cakes View Post
The last play of the first quarter in the NFC Championship game involved a punt. The kicking team player (New Orleans) when out of bounds while running to cover the kick; the official's hat was removed signifying that. The same player was the first to touch the ball and the official threw the flag for illegal touching.

However, the penalty was withdrawn with this explaination: "No foul on the play as the quarter expired prior to the man touching the ball."

How does time expiring during the punt change whether there was an illegal touching?
Wouldn't the penalty be nullified since it was committed by the offense on the last play of the quarter?
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the NFL rule is diifferent, illegal touching is a violation not a foul so there is not penalty anyway. I suspect what the R was trying to explain was why the period would not be extended. and it just got jumbled up.
Old Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 9, Section 2

Touching a scrimmage kick

Article 2:
"First touching" is when a player of the kicking team touches a scrimmage kick that is beyond the line of scrimmage before it has been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line. If the ball is first touched by a player of the kicking team, it remains in play. First touching is a violation, and the receivers shall have the option of taking possession of the ball at the spot of first touching, provided no penalty is accepted on the play, or at the spot where the ball is dead. First touching does not offset a foul by the receivers.

Article 3:
A player of the kicking team, who has been out of bounds, may not touch or recover a scrimmage kick beyond the line of scrimmage until it has bene touched by a kicking team player who has not been out of bounds, or until it has been touched by a player of the receiving team beyond the line.
Note: If a player touches or recovers the ball before he has re-established himself inbounds, the ball is out-of-bounds at the spot of the touch, and there is no foul.

Penalty: For illegal touching of a scrimmage kick: Loss of five yards. If the illegal touching is inside the receiver's five-yard line, in addition to the other specified options, the receiving team may elect to take a touchback

And finally...

Rule 4, Section 8
Extension Of A Period Or A Half

Article 2:
At the election of the opponent, a period may be extended for one untimed down, if any of the following occurs during a down during which time in the period expires:

(c) If there is a foul by the offense, there shall be no extension of the period. If the foul occurs on the last play of the half, a score by the offense is not counted. However, the period may be extended for an untimed down, upon the request of the defense, if the offensive team's foul is for:
(1) illegal touching of a kick;

A.R. 4.13 Fourth-and-10 on A20. A punt is touched illegally by kicking team player A1 on the A45 who falls on the ball as time runs out in second half.
Ruling: One scrimmage down allowed, if desired, by the receivers from the A45. Untimed down as it was an illegal touch.

I missed this play, but my only guess would be the officials determined the ball was dead before the player touched it? Cause from your description, if they threw the flag for illegal touching, then the penalty would be enforced and the period ended. From the looks of the official play-by-play, it looks like the officials changed the original spot from the 15 to the 16 yard line.

1-10-MIN 16 (15:00) The line of scrimmage changed from the 15 to the 16 on the change of possession. 28-A.Peterson right guard to MIN 18 for 2 yards (41-R.Harper, 92-R.Ayodele).

Maybe the change was to reflect that the ball was declared dead before the illegal touching? I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or deny my suspicions.

Last edited by APG; Mon Jan 25, 2010 at 06:39am.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2010, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post

Maybe the change was to reflect that the ball was declared dead before the illegal touching? I'm sure someone will come along and confirm or deny my suspicions.
This was my thought while watching also. I think the ball came to rest and the officials deemed the play over before the illegal touching happened. Seems like the most logical explanation.