The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
As a new Umpire (I now have 1 scrimmage under my belt at this position), I've found that sometimes its difficult to read the play. I'm trying to key on the OL players, but there were a few instances where I read run, and then I see the ball flying over my head and I'm already moving laterally and not in a good position to move up to the line. Maybe I'm trying to watch too many people.

I love being in the field as opposed to the sidelines, but I guess my unfamiliarity with the position has me scratching my head as to how in the world one can actually see things like holding and illegal blocks?

So I guess my questions are: Does anyone have any particular player or keys that they use to read run/pass?....and Are there any rules of thumb to maybe help eliminate some of the mass confusion going on between the tackles to help actually SEE some things?
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I try to key on the left tackle unless the QB is left handed, then the right tackle. On some plays (option to name one), it can be very difficult to read pass. Just get to the line as quick as possible. When I first started working as an umpire, everything seem so fast. Now I have time to check all my keys and have time to spare, unless they are running a "no huddle" offense.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Focus on a few players at a time.

Bama is right! The far-side tackle will give you the best key to read regarding run or pass immediately after the snap. Coordinate this key with the Referee so both of you are not looking at the same player after the snap. Remember, don't try to look at all the linemen at the same time. You are responsible for the legality of the snap so keep the center and the ball in direct view until the snap is completed. Repeat to yourself during the game: "Pass block get to the line, run block pick up point of attack".

Here are some other hints others have taught me over the years:

Learn to pickup the point of attack. The fouls that directly affect the play will occur there. Don't be worried about trying to see all the interior lineman at the same time. Just watch a few players at a time. Talk to yourself like: "Wow that was a great block" or "Nice move by the defense". This will burn into your mind what a legal block or legal play looks like and then the fouls will become more obvious. Prior to the game visualize what legal and illegal actions look like. Over the years you will build up an "inventory" of what fouls and legal action should look like and your reactions will improve each game. If a player complains about holding or some other illegal action then tell him you will watch his opponent the next few plays. Then report back to him that the action appears legal or penalize the opponent if necessary. If the game is going smoothly you may decide prior to the snap that you will focus on a particular player during the next down. Then you can rotate through the entire interior line and their opponents during the game.

I have learned that its better to have many words (compliments and warnings) with players and save the flags for the really big fouls that affect the play and/or involve player safety and/or involve an obvious foul (false start, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.).

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Aug 15th, 2002 at 03:08 PM]
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
You guys make it sound so easy. I just keep telling myself that it will come with experience....I'm just not used to feeling so uncomfortable (maybe unfamiliar is a better word) on the field. Thanks for the help!
Old Sat Aug 17, 2002, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Don't worry, just stick with it.

I'm not worried about you. You will make a great Umpire. I've been an official for 9 years and a regular umpire for about 5 or 6 years and I'm still learning. Just try to develop your mental checklist. The main thing I've learned is that we cannot see everything that is happening during a play even if we are looking in the right places. The main thing is to learn to pick up the flow of the play and scan, focus, and react to action around the point of attack. So don't beat yourself up. It just takes time. The main thing is to enjoy the game and focus on only a few players and a few things at a time.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2002, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Don't be in too much of a rush to get to the LOS. It doesn't take that long to move up there and an ineligible downfield or an illegal pass take a little time to happen. If you hesitate for just an instant, you can avoid being in the middle of a draw play or screen pass. You'll still have time to get to the LOS for the plays that you have to be there for. (When you've been charged by a fullback in full gallop on a FB Draw a couple of times it will come to you.)