The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Block in the back or not (Youtube Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/56468-block-back-not-youtube-video.html)

mikesears Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:17am

Block in the back or not (Youtube Video)

Toward the end of this play at about the 15-yard line, there is a block. Is this a side block or a block in the back?

YouTube - IHSA_3A_Block_in_Back_Or_Not.AVI

Ref inSoCA Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:25am

That is not a block in the back. Imagine the back were flat. If you leaned against a painted wall, the area with the paint is the back for blocking purposes. All contact must be it the "painted" area.

Rich Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 651933)
Toward the end of this play at about the 15-yard line, there is a block. Is this a side block or a block in the back?

YouTube - IHSA_3A_Block_in_Back_Or_Not.AVI

Not even close to a block in the back.

asdf Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:22am

Solid block in my book.

FredFan7 Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49pm

I know several members of that crew. That aside, I have nothing.....no flag...play on.

JRutledge Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55pm

It looks good to me. This is why you have to see the entire play and not the end. Contact looked entirely on the side.

Peace

mikesears Fri Jan 15, 2010 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FredFan7 (Post 652027)
I know several members of that crew. That aside, I have nothing.....no flag...play on.

They are from my official's association. I honestly am not questioning the no call. I posted this as an example of seeing the entire play. When I was watching the video of the game, I was watching the action because I suspected it could turn into a block in the back. When the defender altered his course, it changed the blocking angle.

Sonofanump Fri Jan 15, 2010 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 652089)
I suspected it could turn into a block in the back. When the defender altered his course, it changed the blocking angle.

He did have a brick in his hand. Good example to watching the whole play, knowing what you should be looking at (action near the runner) and understanding what exactly the rule is.

HLin NC Sun Jan 17, 2010 07:27am

Looked side to me.

mikesears Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 652102)
He did have a brick in his hand.

I love this phrase.

bbcof83 Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 652102)
He did have a brick in his hand. Good example to watching the whole play, knowing what you should be looking at (action near the runner) and understanding what exactly the rule is.

What does this mean?

mbyron Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 653234)
What does this mean?

Dude, really? It's a metaphor.

mikesears Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 653234)
What does this mean?

It means a guy is putting himself in a position to commit a foul so he deserves to be watched a little closer. As an example, the blocker in the video was trailing the defender and was trying to chase him down. He "had the brick" because he was behind the defender so he deserved to be watched a little closer to see what he intended to do.

bisonlj Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 653269)
It means a guy is putting himself in a position to commit a foul so he deserves to be watched a little closer. As an example, the blocker in the video was trailing the defender and was trying to chase him down. He "had the brick" because he was behind the defender so he deserved to be watched a little closer to see what he intended to do.

Also in general it's the guy who appears be looking for trouble. If you are driving down the street and see a kid walking with a brick in his hand, you can be pretty certain he's looking for trouble. On a play in space, you can often spot that guy looking for someone to hit and he's probably going to do something stupid.

bbcof83 Tue Jan 19, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 653269)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 653301)
Also in general it's the guy who appears be looking for trouble. If you are driving down the street and see a kid walking with a brick in his hand, you can be pretty certain he's looking for trouble. On a play in space, you can often spot that guy looking for someone to hit and he's probably going to do something stupid.

Gotcha, makes total sense. Thanks.