The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Where do you mark the ball ready for play in the following situation: (perspective from kickers point of view)

K free kicks from the right hash mark. The kick goes OOB, untouched by R, on the left sideline. R chooses the 25 yard option. Where would you, along the appropiate yard line, is the ball placed for the next play?
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

The recieving team has chosen to take the 25 yard option from the previous spot so that would be their own 35 yard line. First and ten. Clock starts on the snap.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I think the question is about where the ball is physically spotted...left hash, right hash, or in the middle? Since I don't know, I'll be eagerly awaiting the answer!
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

The ball is spotted on the hash on the side that the ball went OOB.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Is there anywhere in the rulebook, casebook, etc...that specifically describes something like this? Or at least a way to derive the answer? I can see the argument that it would be placed on the same hash from where it was snapped since that IS the last place from where it was snapped, and I can also see the logic in snapping from the side it went out of bounds. Guess I just like to have some concrete to stand on when I explain this to others, that's why I like to know where in the book it is.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

NF 6.11.8b
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

I typed the wrong number. It is 6.1.8b. Also check 4.3.
Old Mon Aug 12, 2002, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt-MI
I typed the wrong number. It is 6.1.8b. Also check 4.3.
It still doesn't say whether it goes on the hash or where.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Let me give a little background to this question.

When the NF instituted this penalty, several of our crews were placing the ball in the center of the field on the proper yardline (I myself probably did this). We (they) were reminded that the rule stated that the ball will be placed at the inbounds spot (6-1-8b if chosen) and we began properly placing the ball.

Several officials were discussing this play and came to the conclusion (logically) that this was a loose ball foul and that loose ball fouls were enforced from the previous spot (10-4-2b). The question then asked was if you kicked from the left hash mark and the ball went OOB on the right side line then wouldn't you mark the penalty from the previous spot and place the ball 25 yards ahead at the left hash mark? (There was a short side bar regarding the referee's trip to the side line to explain the ball placement.)

In my heart of hearts, I believed that we have been applying this rule properly all along. I presented this question to the board in hopes getting another angle on the question. I had previously argued that the defintion of inbounds spot (2-40-4b), the rule itself (6-1-8) and the special enforcement rule (10-5-1a) dictated that the ball should be placed on the hash mark where it went OOB. Still there was the nagging response "loose ball, previous spot".

During our latest meeting, the umpires, at their position meeting were tasked with solving this "problem". They came up with this interpretation: The actual wording of the rule is "... at the inbounds spot 25 yards BEYOND the previous spot" not FROM the previous spot. Therefore, placing the ball at the appropiate inbounds spot is definitely beyond the previous spot. This interpretation removed the "loose ball, previous spot" argument and BTW, satisfied any questions about ball placement when the kick was made from somewhere else along K's free kick line.

I found this question to be a good exercise "rule reading", however, I makes me wonder if are not our own worst enemies at reading between lines.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree with this line of thinking. I can only imagine the sounds of the tops of some people's heads blowing off however, since there is no specific statement. This is a good illustration of the necessity of officials to be able to see the grey areas in addition to the black and white ones.
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Actually, the rule book tells you EXACTLY where to spot the ball for the enforcement of this penalty.

6-1-8b states" putting the ball in play at the INBOUNDS SPOT 25 yards beyond the previous spot"

2-40-4b defines the INBOUNDS SPOT as "the intersection of the INBOUNDS LINE and the yard line through the foremost point of the ball on the sideline between the goal lines when a loose ball goes out of bounds"

2-25-4 defines the INBOUNDS LINES "as a series of hash marks parallel with the sidelines that divides the field in thirds."

Therefore, by rule, the ball is spotted on the hash marks on the side of the field on which the ball went OOB>
Old Tue Aug 13, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well I'll be dipped. Now all the "black and white" officials can relax. In all seriousness though, thanks for the reasoning AND the letter of the law, that's why I love this place!