The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Free Kick After Fair Catch (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55648-free-kick-after-fair-catch.html)

wingofficial Thu Dec 03, 2009 09:50pm

Free Kick After Fair Catch

K attempts a free kick after a fair catch on R 45. K's kick:
1. Falls short and is caught by R1 on R's 3.
2. Falls short, lands on R 3 yard line and is recovered by R1 in R's endzone.
3. Is caught in flight by R1 in R's endzone.

Am I correct with the following...
1. R1 can possess and advance the ball.
2. Touchback
3. Touchback

NorCalRef12 Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingofficial (Post 639518)
K attempts a free kick after a fair catch on R 45. K's kick:
1. Falls short and is caught by R1 on R's 3.
2. Falls short, lands on R 3 yard line and is recovered by R1 in R's endzone.
3. Is caught in flight by R1 in R's endzone.

Am I correct with the following...
1. R1 can possess and advance the ball.
2. Touchback
3. Touchback

Yes, you are correct.

Additionally, answer this, If R1 is standing 5 yards deep in his end zone and the ball bounces off his helmet and it caroms through the upright, what do you have?

wingofficial Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:06am

The touching by R would be ignored and the attempt is successful.

NorCalRef12 Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:42am

Good! Just trying to keep you on your toes.

wingofficial Fri Dec 04, 2009 01:30pm

I appreciate it. Also, since I have never seen this done, what is the formation?
Does K line up like a usual Free Kick and R has to line up 10 yards away?
And obviously, there is no rushing... right?
Would the rest of the K players run down the field in case the ball lands short of the endzone, like a typical free kick?

Patton Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:04pm

It's no different than any other free kick...except that K gets 3 points if it goes thru the uprights. The other odd thing would be that if they make it, you turn around and free kick the other direction. No wonder the fans and announcers (and some officials) are confused!!

ump33 Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton (Post 639692)
It's no different than any other free kick...except that K gets 3 points if it goes thru the uprights. The other odd thing would be that if they make it, you turn around and free kick the other direction. No wonder the fans and announcers (and some officials) are confused!!

One minor exception, if you would even call it an exception ... R & U line up under and rule on their respective uprights. U also rules on the crossbar (5 man Fed mechanics)

jaybird Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:30pm

Quote:

The other odd thing would be that if they make it, you turn around and free kick the other direction.
You sure about that?
It's a successful FG and the ensuing free kick (Kick-off) would be executed in the same manner as any other kick-off after a scoring play.

Patton Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybird (Post 639701)
You sure about that?
It's a successful FG and the ensuing free kick (Kick-off) would be executed in the same manner as any other kick-off after a scoring play.

You're right, you don't kick the other direction. It's the back-to-back free kicks by one team that would seem odd.

Larry0405 Fri Dec 04, 2009 08:39pm

R has the right to place the ball any spot within hash marks.

jaybird Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patton (Post 639703)
You're right, you don't kick the other direction. It's the back-to-back free kicks by one team that would seem odd.

Of course the scored upon team does have the option as to which team will kick-off, so I guess we could have a free kick in the opposite direction after the score.

BroKen62 Sat Dec 05, 2009 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaybird (Post 639805)
Of course the scored upon team does have the option as to which team will kick-off, so I guess we could have a free kick in the opposite direction after the score.

you stole my post! I've got to get faster.:rolleyes: