The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-2-6

Last night at playoff game. During pregame conference with head official I indicate that we run a no huddle offense with formation shifts. He tells me that as long as center does not touch the ball then we can shift all day long..But that once the center touches the ball we cannot shift. We have been running this shift all season with no problems. Here are the details of our play. We run a no huddle Single wing unbalanced offense so my team lines up on the ball and they look at me for the play. I call the play in and my team turns and put their elbows on their knees and the center places his hands on the ball. The Quarterback calls cadence...Everybody Ready....Shift...(At which point all the players shift into a new legal formation)....Down...(All players get down)...Set...Hut..(Players have been stationary for more than 1 sec..Ball is snapped and the play is run)...Last nights official called us for illegal shift after my boys shifted after the center had touched the ball. Is this correct? I told him that I saw teams all the time have their center touch the ball when he comes up to the line while the other players are moving up after the huddle. His response was that since they were coming up to the line it was ok but that once they were on the line it was illegal to shift once the center touched the ball..I told him that none of my players put their hands down and that would be what would make it illegal...If they put their hands down and then shifted...But we didn't do that...Am I off my rocker?
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

As you describe it, the play is completely legal.

If your players shift in a way that simulates action at the snap, then it is a false start. (7-1-7a)

In no way can the action you described be considered an illegal shift.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

There's no such rule that shifts must cease after the snapper touches the ball. Once he touches the ball other things come into effect like encroachment restrictions. Also the snapper is pretty well pinned down once he touches the ball. However, most players can shift around as long as everyone is motionless for at least one second before the snap or before one player goes legally in motion. He was wrong.
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure why the official told you this. But, as you described it these shifts are legal. the snapper placing his hand(s) on the ball does not come into play in regards to players shifting. The official must have been confused and thinking of the neutral zone restrictions, which do come into play when the snapper touches the ball, somehow effect the shifitng rules, which they don't. Hmm, wondering how a playoff caliber Referee could make this mistake...
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

it WAS a RULE last night on THAT FIELD though!

WOW!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Wow...Quick replies...Just as I thought...Thank You all for responding..
Old Tue Nov 03, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

The center touching the ball and players shifting only applies to interior linemen. Once the center touches the ball (making him the snapper) and the other interior linemen put their hands on or near the ground (below the knee), they are locked into their positions and cannot shift.