The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Multiple Uniform Numbers (https://forum.officiating.com/football/55164-multiple-uniform-numbers.html)

harmbu Tue Oct 27, 2009 09:26am

Multiple Uniform Numbers

I was watching the Texas (NCAA) games the past two weeks and noticed that there is a #12 on the defense and a different player wearing #12 on the offense. As I watched more closely, I noticed that there are also two #8s on the team. I had never noticed anything like this before. I am just a baseball guy, but thought this was odd.

jaybird Tue Oct 27, 2009 09:37am

It is odd, but not illegal.

bigjohn Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:06am

not odd, actually very common in NCAA.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:13am

Actually, common in all levels of college ball. You'll see it sometimes in high school ball, but it's rare.

bisonlj Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19pm

I had not noticed it in D1 college until this year. I forget which team I was watching but they had a Heisman-level player sharing a number with a defensive player which threw me at first. I thought maybe players at the bottom of the roster would do this but not key players.

jTheUmp Tue Oct 27, 2009 02:04pm

bisonlj, I believe that was Matt Leinhart and some DB for USC. (side note: remember when he used to actually be good?)

There was a lot of number-sharing when I played college ball... when you have 140 kids on the team, and only 98 usable numbers (one number was retired, I think it was #84), you're gonna have to have some repeats.

They did try to make sure that if 2 players shared a number, that they either played on opposite sides of the ball, or that one of the players was significantly younger then the other. (A senior o-lineman, for example, might share #65 with a freshman o-lineman... highly unlikely that any situation would develop that would require both of them to be on the field at the same time).

mbyron Tue Oct 27, 2009 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 633071)
I had not noticed it in D1 college until this year.

Really? You know they have more than 100 kids on the team, right? And only 100 two-digit numbers (0-99)?

SethPDX Tue Oct 27, 2009 08:37pm

Oregon State's starting QB shares #5 with a starting safety.

Oregon has a bunch of guys with duplicate numbers, but it's usually a starter on offense and a reserve on D or vice versa.

And of course, Texas A&M always has several #12s.

Robert Goodman Wed Oct 28, 2009 05:53pm

When I saw the subject line, I thought it was going to be about a player whose number didn't match between the front & back of his shirt.

FTVMartin Wed Oct 28, 2009 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 633113)
Really? You know they have more than 100 kids on the team, right? And only 100 two-digit numbers (0-99)?

Not to be too much of a smart-*** but there are only 90 two digit numbers. 0-9 are single digits.:rolleyes:

LDUB Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FTVMartin (Post 633451)
Not to be too much of a smart-*** but there are only 90 two digit numbers. 0-9 are single digits.:rolleyes:

Plus 0 isn't a legal number so they would run out of numbers with just 100 players not more than 100.

JugglingReferee Thu Oct 29, 2009 02:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 633433)
When I saw the subject line, I thought it was going to be about a player whose number didn't match between the front & back of his shirt.

Grounds for a refund.

Robert Goodman Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 633519)
Grounds for a refund.

Hey, why do you think it was so cheap?

I was thinking more in terms of James Bond's rotating license plates. On the back, an ineligible receiver number to show the referee. On the front, an eligible receiver number to show the back judge.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 633597)
Hey, why do you think it was so cheap?

I was thinking more in terms of James Bond's rotating license plates. On the back, an ineligible receiver number to show the referee. On the front, an eligible receiver number to show the back judge.

And flags flying around like chimpanzes at the zoo. :D