The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Foul during the run that end in a TD

If the defense fouls (face mask, for example) on a running play that ends in a TD, does the offense get to enforce the penalty on the try or kickoff?

I assume the answer doesn't change if there is a roughing the passer penalty but the pass play ends in a TD. But I just wanted to check this scenario as well.

Thanks.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
both play situations- team A has the option of taking it on the try or kickoff.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:53am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
both play situations- team A has the option of taking it on the try or kickoff.
And usually they will take it on the kickoff, so they can pin the opponents deep.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

So far each time this year the kicking team had a 15 yard penalty enforced on the free kick against the receiving team.. they attempted an on-side kick...so you up guys beware.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I can top that. I had a game earlier this year where B fouled on the TD try, and A opted to enforce it on the kickoff. Then B roughed the kicked on the kick try, and A opted for that to be on the kickoff as well. (Don't remember which number in the case book, but that backs me up - since the fouls occur on two different plays, both can be enforced on the KO.)

The kickoff was from the R 30.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

We had a situation where a team scored in the 4th quarter to pull within 8 points. On the TD, B was penalized for a PF late hit and then the same player committed an USC taunting penalty. That allowed the team to kick off from the R30. Since they were down a score it seemed like the perfect time for an on-side kick. What have you got to lose? If you don't get it, the other team will still get it around the 20. If you are not going to try an onside kick, you'd think they would at least kick it into the end zone. They did neither. They popped it around the 3 yard line. Then the strange thing is R caught and tried to run it. It would have likely gone into the end zone if they had let it go. Instead they had a short return and started at their own 10. Strange play all around.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know which rule we would be talking about here. I had this discussion with my WH who said, no, only on the try, but I though A had a choice.
Old Thu Oct 29, 2009, 09:42pm
Chain of Fools

Rule 8 Section 2
While there were some additions to it this year, this rule has been around for two years now.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Nfhs 8.2.2

If this play happens in overtime. What's the enforcement? Since there's no subsequent kickoff in overtime. The only choice would be enforcing the facemask penalty from the succeeding spot, which would be on the try.
Old Fri Nov 06, 2009, 07:45pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And usually they will take it on the kickoff, so they can pin the opponents deep.
In Canada, they will choose the KO in order to score a rouge!