The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 03:12pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref inSoCA View Post
You have to remember that CA has 10 Sections and each Section has its own rules.

In my Section, we don't play OT until the playoffs and the coaches know it.

Since this is the coaches' story in the media, I don't believe it. I would bet the Southern Section does not use OT and perhaps the R was being a smarta$$.
I work in the Central Section, Tulare area and we have overtime even for Frosh games. It is a game fee, not a regulation time game fee.

Last edited by w_sohl; Sun Oct 04, 2009 at 04:10pm.
Old Sat Oct 03, 2009, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

What a steaming pile. Those guys might have some trouble getting games next year.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

In North Dakota, we're only supposed to run OT in varsity competitions.

As for getting paid for overtime, w_sohl is exactly right, "It is a game fee, not a regulation time game fee." You get paid to officiate a full game, not only a portion of the game. Run the entire course of the game if you're willing to suit up in stripes.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyphrunner View Post
As for getting paid for overtime, w_sohl is exactly right, "It is a game fee, not a regulation time game fee."
I get this complaint in baseball sometimes when one team loses in 4 1/2 innings due to the mercy rule: "Blue, we paid you for 7 [innings]! C'mon, let the kids keep playing!"

Response: "No, you paid me for a game, which is now over. Would you expect me to leave before extra innings because I'd been paid for (only) 7?"

There's also a liability issue. If you go into OT when the state dictates not to (as our subvarsity games are generally not to) and somebody gets hurt, then you're on the hook for that.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Did you see what their own Assocaition had to say? Seems the crew did botch this one.

"The officials just made a bad decision," Conte said. "There was a miscommunication between the schools and officials.

"The school should have told them (the officials) before the game, halftime or in the third quarter, and it was never asked."

Regardless, Conte said the crew should have stayed for overtime.

"Yes," Conte said, "and that's in the bluebook - if both coaches agree to overtime. If one coach says yes, one coach says no, you don't play overtime. It has to be a mutual consent by both coaches.

"It was their (the officials') impression we don't do overtime, but it was a mistake on the officials' part. I don't know where they got that we don't do overtimes, because there must have been six overtimes (last) weekend."

"The unit will have further action on this, which I have nothing to do with," Conte said. "I can't begin to tell you what, and I don't want to jump to a conclusion until the process goes through."

"We're in the process of damage control right now," he said. "It was a mistake that was made - no malice, no bad intention.
So they made a mistake. I sure hope the next time all those here who seem so willing to throw these guys under the bus remember that next time they blow one too.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 10:24am
Chain of Fools

Yeah but....

there are mistakes and then there is FUBAR and this crew FUBAR'ed. Yet we can all learn from this.

1) Cover all topics in pre-game conference. If the WH doesn't ask, remind him. Better to tick him off early and get things right than remain silent and make the paper.

2)Know your local/state/league/conference/association/section regs.

3)Those flippant comments we think are cute/funny/hilarious can bite us on the butt.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
So they made a mistake. I sure hope the next time all those here who seem so willing to throw these guys under the bus remember that next time they blow one too.
Calling a runner down before he loses possession but when actually he was not is not nearly the same as what happened here. Trying to compare them simply minimizes what is beyond minimization.
Old Sun Oct 04, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

If (and it's a big "if") the game officials came across as presented in the news reports, they have a problem and should be repremanded. However, considering the history of accuracy by local newsreports on HS football games (non varsity no less) I tend to lean a lot towards miscommunication about procedures.

Especially on the sub-varsity level, over the years I've experienced multiple instances where leagues have "forgotten" to alert their officials assigning sources about modifications they have decided to adapt.

If these game officials behaved badly, that's on them and their assigning organization will likely deal with it but there is better than a good chance the officials were not aware that overtime was sanctioned at that particular level.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
3)Those flippant comments we think are cute/funny/hilarious can bite us on the butt.
I think this is where the situation went pear shaped. The first story was based on the "We don't get paid for overtime" comment (article was titled "No Overtime Pay, No Overtime Play"). Seems to me one of the officials was trying to be funny or was just plain careless in a heated moment. Sans this comment I think the headline would have read more like "Officials Confuse OT Rule, Game Should Have Continued" and they would have been in A LOT less hot water.
Old Mon Oct 05, 2009, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I remember back in the late 70's when I started calling- that we had some funky rule that both coaches had to agree, BEFORE the game, if an overtime period was played.
Of course this only lead to problems.
I was at a game when one coach said yes and the other said no. At the end of the game the score was tied and all the fans expected an overtime period. When we reminded the coach that he said he did not want to play he then said that he did want to play overtime. He was actually yelling at us as we ran off the field. The fans saw him and was to the point of rioting. Needless to say we were lucky to get away from the field.
He did 'man-up' and later said that he did tell the officials that he did not want overtime but the trouble was already done.
thanks goodness that our state now requires overtime for all football games in all classes and age groups. The coach has no say so in determining if overtime is played.
Now-- no problems.