The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Strange NFL play

Today in a NFL game, there was an attempt at a fair catch by a receiver. While the ball was in the air, the kickers blocked a second receiver into the receiver attempting to make the fair catch. The block by K obstructed the fair catcher's path to the ball and the ball then struck the second receiver's leg on the fly. The referee explained that once the second receiver was blocked into the fair catcher, it "negated" the fair catch. Does this make any sense? I could understand if the second receiver blocked K into the fair catcher, but that is not what happened. K blocked the second R into the fair catcher. Can somebody explain this one to me?
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good play by K!

I actually asked a similar question earlier in the year and no, this is not forced touching or KCI or anything.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 09:42pm
Chain of Fools

Saw it and I enjoyed as this same topic, minus the touching by R, came up in our association and was later posted here on this board, I believe. One official in our group was pretty adamant that this was a foul by K.

The initial ruling today was that K (Panthers) committed illegal touching but not KCI. However the officials huddled a second time and that is when the ruling came out that the ball had been touched by R (edskins). Zorn challenged but lost.
Old Sun Oct 11, 2009, 11:12pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdacav32 View Post
Today in a NFL game, there was an attempt at a fair catch by a receiver. While the ball was in the air, the kickers blocked a second receiver into the receiver attempting to make the fair catch. The block by K obstructed the fair catcher's path to the ball and the ball then struck the second receiver's leg on the fly. The referee explained that once the second receiver was blocked into the fair catcher, it "negated" the fair catch. Does this make any sense? I could understand if the second receiver blocked K into the fair catcher, but that is not what happened. K blocked the second R into the fair catcher. Can somebody explain this one to me?
K certainly has the right to continue blocking until the play is dead, because a fair catch does not guarantee R with possession. If K's blocking involves R losing their FC right, so be it.

Good play by K.
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

The exact same play happened in the Colts-Titans game on Sunday evening. Colts signalled FC, teammate was blocked into the receiver, muff, recovery by the Titans.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Oct 12, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Don't have any NFL rules handy, but if this were to have occurred in an NCAA game, it would also not be a foul by the kicking team.