The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Best books on Football Officiating? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/54822-best-books-football-officiating.html)

stegenref Wed Sep 30, 2009 02:29pm

Best books on Football Officiating?

I'm currently finishing up reading a few different books and trying to decide what to read next. I was wondering what books you guys think are most valuable...other than the NFHS rules book, mechanics book, and case book, obviously.

Welpe Wed Sep 30, 2009 02:32pm

I would check out the Redding Guide for NFHS rules, that is a fairly comprehensive interpretation manual with additional case plays, in depth explanations of rules, etc. I also found the rules by topic book to be helpful as well.

stegenref Wed Sep 30, 2009 02:33pm

Links to these books

The Redding Study Guide to NFHS Football Rules
Honig's Whistle Stop Online Store - Products

FRI-HS - SIMPLIFIED AND ILLUSTRATED: FOOTBALL 2009, HIGH SCHOOL EDITION

FRBT - RULES BY TOPIC: FOOTBALL 2009 EDITION

FHSPE - HIGH SCHOOL PENALTY ENFORCEMENTS MADE EASY

Officiating Football (Paperback) by ASEP (Author)
Amazon.com: Officiating Football (9780736047586): ASEP: Books

Better Football Officiating (Paperback) by Tom Hammill (Author), Jerry Grunska (Author), George Demetriou (Author)
Amazon.com: Better Football Officiating (9780966020960): Tom Hammill, Jerry Grunska, George Demetriou: Books

It's Not All Black and White: From Junior High to the Sugar Bowl, an Inside Look at Football Through the Eyes of An Official (Hardcover) by Mike Liner (Author)
Amazon.com: It's Not All Black and White: From Junior High to the Sugar Bowl, an Inside Look at Football Through the Eyes of An Official (9781602396852): Mike Liner, Rogers Reding, Doug Hensley: Books

2008-09 Football Officials Guidebook: High School Mechanics for Crews of Four and Five Officials with CD-ROM
2008-09 Football Officials Guidebook: High School Mechanics for Crews of Four and Five Officials with CD-ROM 20% NASO MEMBER DISCOUNT AVAILABLE - applied at checkout : Referee Online Store

Judgment Calls: A Football Officiating Philosophy
Judgment Calls: A Football Officiating Philosophy 20% NASO MEMBER DISCOUNT AVAILABLE - applied at checkout : Referee Online Store

Smart Football Officiating: How to Get Better Every Game
Smart Football Officiating: How to Get Better Every Game 20% NASO MEMBER DISCOUNT AVAILABLE - applied at checkout : Referee Online Store

19 Smart Moves For The Football Official
19 Smart Moves For The Football Official 20% NASO MEMBER DISCOUNT AVAILABLE - applied at checkout : Referee Online Store

bossman72 Wed Sep 30, 2009 04:21pm

Redding's guide is by far #1. The simplified and illustrated is ok. Useful for very green officials, but after year 1, it's not that great.

ppaltice Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:53am

I have Redding's guide and I think it is a great book. But, I read the NFHS rule and case book more than any supplementary book.