The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Another Kick question (free kick) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/54660-another-kick-question-free-kick.html)

referee20 Wed Sep 16, 2009 07:53am

Another Kick question (free kick)

Fed Rules: On a free kick, the kick bounces over R’s head as he’s running back to get the ball he possesses it at the 3 yard line and goes into the end zone but comes back out and is down at the 5 yard line. Is this the momentum exception or would this be a touchback?

SouthGARef Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:24am

Deleting because I was wrong and don't want to confuse anyone.

bigjohn Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:44am

EXCEPTION: When a defensive player intercepts an opponent’s forward pass; intercepts
or recovers an opponent’s fumble or backward pass; or an R player catches or
recovers a scrimmage kick or free kick between his 5-yard line and the goal line, and
his original momentum carries him into the end zone where the ball is declared dead
in his team’s possession or it goes out of bounds in the end zone, the ball belongs
to the team in possession at the spot where the pass or fumble was inter cepted or
recovered or the kick was caught or recovered.

kdf5 Wed Sep 16, 2009 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthGARef (Post 625673)
Neither.

Momentum exception doesn't apply to free kicks, and it's not a touchback because the kick ended when R obtained possession outside of the endzone.

Simply put, this is nothing more than a tackle at the 5-yard line. 1st and 10 for R at the 5. Clock on snap.

The momentum exception does apply to free kicks and would have been R's ball at the 3 had he gone in the EZ (due to his original momentum) and the ball become dead. However, the kick ended at the 3 and he was allowed to run it back out of the EZ so it's R's ball at the 5.

bigjohn Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:04am

SGR, how long have you been a referee? :rolleyes:

bossman72 Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:15am

Yes, we have momentum here. A kick possessed by a player is no longer a kick, so when the ball goes into the endzone, it can't be a touchback by that virtue.

The momentum spot is bean bagged where he gained possession. Had he stayed in the endzone, he would get the ball at the 3. Since he brought it out, it doesn't matter.

bigjohn Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47am

That is true Bossman!

SouthGARef Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 625697)
SGR, how long have you been a referee? :rolleyes:

Well, that's not necessary.

I made a mistake. Didn't have my rule book in front of me. Had a brain fart. I'll make sure I never make another mistake again in my entire life.

Rich Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthGARef (Post 625732)
Well, that's not necessary.

I made a mistake. Didn't have my rule book in front of me. Had a brain fart. I'll make sure I never make another mistake again in my entire life.

Be careful or he'll post 74 clips of buttblocks and tell us we all suck again. :rolleyes:

bigjohn Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01pm

Sorry left out the LOL!!!

Touche, I can help you out with an online version if you email me.

[email protected]

mbyron Wed Sep 16, 2009 01:50pm

FYI: posting your e-mail address (unless it's a disposable one) on an internet forum is a huge sign, visible to spambots, that says:

SPAM ME

A better idea is to use the PM function.

bigjohn Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:00pm

yahoo mail has a great SPAM FILTER! That is why I use it. I have other personal emails as well.

kdf5 Wed Sep 16, 2009 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 625733)
Be careful or he'll post 74 clips of buttblocks and tell us we all suck again. :rolleyes:

Don't forget helping the runner!
That's never called.

Jimmie24 Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:37pm

IG is never called by those sorry saps in stripes that refuse to talk to me on the sideline because I am only an assistant coach.:mad:

whitehat Wed Sep 16, 2009 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 625772)
Don't forget helping the runner!
That's never called.

Actually I saw it called in a DII college game last week. R took a touchdown away near the end of a game. didn't matter to final outcome but I felt, without being a very obvious "helping" R took away a consolation touchdown from a team that was not giving up...anyway. I have never called it...