The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Offensive face-mask (https://forum.officiating.com/football/54648-offensive-face-mask.html)

stegenref Tue Sep 15, 2009 09:55am

Offensive face-mask

First and ten...runner runs five yards, then gets called for a face mask, and is downed two yards later. So the ball is sitting seven yards past the LOS, the flag is five yards past the LOS. What is the penalty, enforcement spot, and is there a loss of down? I couldn't find anything in the rulebook about an offensive face mask, but last night we took the offense back five yards from the succeeding spot and replayed the down, so it became first and eight. I was thinking the penalty should be enforced from the spot of the foul and it doesn't seem fair that the offense got to replay the down.

kdf5 Tue Sep 15, 2009 09:59am

Running play....basic spot is end of run....foul occurred behind the basic spot...enforce from the spot of the foul....this is the One in the All But One.

Also, was it a facemask or did A just put his hand on the facemask? Big difference. Any player can put his hand ON a mask, he can't grab, twist, pull, etc.

mikesears Tue Sep 15, 2009 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stegenref (Post 625424)
First and ten...runner runs five yards, then gets called for a face mask, and is downed two yards later. So the ball is sitting seven yards past the LOS, the flag is five yards past the LOS. What is the penalty, enforcement spot, and is there a loss of down? I couldn't find anything in the rulebook about an offensive face mask, but last night we took the offense back five yards from the succeeding spot and replayed the down, so it became first and eight. I was thinking the penalty should be enforced from the spot of the foul and it doesn't seem fair that the offense got to replay the down.

This was a running play for penalty enforcement reasons. Now apply ABO. Foul occured behind the end of the run, so penalize them 5-yard from the spot of the foul. This is an accepted penalty that does not include a loss of down, so Team A gets to replay the down.

stegenref Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 625425)
Running play....basic spot is end of run....foul occurred behind the basic spot...enforce from the spot of the foul....this is the One in the All But One.

Also, was it a facemask or did A just put his hand on the facemask? Big difference. Any player can put his hand ON a mask, he can't grab, twist, pull, etc.

He grabbed / pulled it...from what the LJ said.

Rich Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stegenref (Post 625428)
He grabbed / pulled it...from what the LJ said.

Perfectly reasonable flag, then. It's like any other live ball foul committed by A during a running play. All-but-one enforcement. Since the penalty is behind the end of the run, enforce from the flag. Replay the down.