The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Can't seem to get Thursdays done around here

Weird season already. Two weeks ago, had 2 JV games for the Thursday night. Played the first quarter and a half of the first game, then shut things down due to lightning in the area. Ended up suspending both games and going home. Last week, I wasn't scheduled, but much of the same thing happened -- some games (mix of V and JV all over) got played and some didn't or were suspended midway through. So, we're thinking this week is a cinch, right, since this thunderstorm stuff is spring-like and it can't happen for a third week in a row?

Guess again. Multiple rain-outs last night over a bigger area of games than the last 2 weeks. After tonight, I'll have 3 varsity games and exactly 16 minutes of JV worked! Usually, I've got 6-8 Frosh/JV in by now.
Old Fri Sep 11, 2009, 03:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

There's been quite a bit of thunderstorm activity in this area on Thursdays/Fridays as well. It's a foreign concept to me as lightning is pretty rare back in my former part of California. The lightning here is a whole 'nother ball game!
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

It gets even more strange. Various varsity contests have been affected by the Thursday nights I speak of (when they were played or scheduled -- usually due to sharing of facilities), but Fridays have been largely unaffected. Not tonight. That 3rd V game I spoke of above? Cancelled. Picked up a rescheduled V game tomorrow but even that's no guarantee now.

By tomorrow, I may have been paid for more games I didn't work so far this year than those I have worked! No joke.

(And no wisecracks!!)
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
By tomorrow, I may have been paid for more games I didn't work so far this year than those I have worked! No joke.
So now the schools are paying you NOT to officiate their games?!
Old Sat Sep 12, 2009, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Had a 30 min. delay to the start of a game on Tuesday. During that period another team took the field to run wind sprints. (They weren't scheduled to play, just practice that day.) How stupid! I wouldn't want that liability on me. I relayed the problem to the AD. Hopefully, it will be addressed.

When I told the coaches of the 30 min. delay, they weren't happy. I wish coaches took the hazards seriously. I hope it doesn't take some kid getting fried to wake them up. I have no problem with the delay because I have concern for safety on my side.
Old Sun Sep 13, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I am officially on board with the black pants. Yesterday, the make up game happened in a mini-monsoon. The rain wasn't too bad (needed some windshield wipers every now and then), but the field was flat and became saturated. That = mud. All over us. However, the game was good and I felt we did a solid job.

Now, I have to go clean everything up. Yuck.