The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Fair Catch Rule

I need some help here... What is the HS ruling on a fair catch that hits the ground and rolls several bounces. I witnessed the K team tackle the receiver after the ball had hit the ground and rolled then picked up by R. Official ruled the R who waived the fair catch has entitlement to the ball even after it hits the ground to be protected under the fair catch rule.

Thanks
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

If R1 calls for a fair catch while a kick is in the air, then the kick hits the ground, R1 loses protection from being blocked or tackled.

However, the ball is dead as soon as any R player gains possession of the ball after a fair catch signal. K may have been penalized for a dead-ball personal foul, if the contact was after the play.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Bullycon hit the nail!
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a335336 View Post
I need some help here... What is the HS ruling on a fair catch that hits the ground and rolls several bounces. I witnessed the K team tackle the receiver after the ball had hit the ground and rolled then picked up by R. Official ruled the R who waived the fair catch has entitlement to the ball even after it hits the ground to be protected under the fair catch rule.

Thanks
As I understand your situation, you are describing a scrimmage kick (punt), where the receiver made a valid fair catch signal, the ball hit the ground, the receiver recovered the ball, and he was then tackled.

No foul on this play unless the official deems the contact a personal foul. The ball is dead when R recovers the kick. R does not have "entitlement" to the ball, except in the sense that it is a scrimmage kick -- so if K touches it before R does, it's first touching. If R muffs the recovery, K can get the ball. The fair catch signal does not change that.

See this case:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009 Case Book
6.5.3 SITUATION:
COMMENT: Contacting a receiver who did not give a fair-catch signal or contacting a receiver
who has given a signal but is contacted where he cannot make a fair catch, is
not a foul unless the contact is judged to be a personal foul. The receiver is not
afforded special protection in such situations. Members of the kicking team have
the responsibility for knowing when the ball is dead. If a kicker could not have
seen a fair-catch signal made by the teammate of the receiver, there is no foul.
However, if he could have seen the signal, he does not have license to contact the
receiver. (4-2-2g)
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Thanks.. What happened was the punt was rolling on ground surrounded by 3 players of K team. R1 ran up to ball picked it up while rolling. K1,2,3 then tackled R1. Official ruled violation of fair catch rule and penalized K team 15 yds.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks.. What happened was the punt was rolling on ground surrounded by 3 players of K team. R1 ran up to ball picked it up while rolling. K1,2,3 then tackled R1. Official ruled violation of fair catch rule and penalized K team 15 yds.
On the contrary, if R1 picks it up and starts running with it, I'm flagging R for delay of game. 6-5-5: "No receiver may advance the ball after a valid or invalid fair-catch signal has been given by any member of the receiving team. Penalty: 5 yards [delay of game signal]"

If R1 just picks up the ball and gets tackled, this is nothing unless the contact was severe.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks
This is a good question and I don't know that it is addressed by a rulebook citation.

My thoughts are that a "catch" is securing possession of a loose ball before it touches the ground so I would think that this can NOT be kick catching interference even if the R signaled for a fair catch. If the contact after R possessed the ball rose to the leve of a personal foul or was relatively late, you could call a dead ball personal foul because the moment any R player secures possession of the kick after the fair catch signal, it is dead.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

question - if a receiver gets hit after giving a valid fair catch signal (and catches the ball cleanly) is this a personal foul or kick catching interference?
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Official ruled the R who waived the fair catch has entitlement to the ball even after it hits the ground to be protected under the fair catch rule.
Need new officials.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
question - if a receiver gets hit after giving a valid fair catch signal (and catches the ball cleanly) is this a personal foul or kick catching interference?
It can't be KCI because he already caught the ball. PF.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
It can't be KCI because he already caught the ball. PF.
It's a dead ball PF and enforced from where he caught it, correct?
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

He caught the ball, so KCI is hard to call. So I go PF and 15 yards from where he caught the ball if he got hit.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

So what happened in the OP is that 3 K players tackled an R player in possession of a dead ball? Ummm...Dead Ball Personal Foul 15 yards from the suceeding spot and 1st down.

Or was it that a player of K tackled an R player while the ball is loose on the ground, after said player had signaled for and failed to make a fair catch? Ummm...tackling is a form of holding, so live ball Holding 10 yards from the previous spot and replay the down.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks.. What happened was the punt was rolling on ground surrounded by 3 players of K team. R1 ran up to ball picked it up while rolling. K1,2,3 then tackled R1.
Did R1 pick it up and attempt to advance, i.e. more than to stop any momentum he had in running toward the ball?
Old Sat Sep 05, 2009, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
It's a dead ball PF and enforced from where he caught it, correct?
Bingo. As soon as R makes the catch, the ball is dead, so it's a DBPF enforced from the succeeding spot (the spot of the catch, in this case).