The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Watches/Timing Device (https://forum.officiating.com/football/54269-watches-timing-device.html)

WGGriffon Sun Aug 09, 2009 05:47pm

Watches/Timing Device

Looking for a recommendation on a good watch for a backjudge that works both HS and NCAA football. With the variety of clock/timing differences I am finding that my ReadyRef does not suit the job.

I see the F77RBK in Honigs Fall 2009 catalog, but cant find it on the site or on Reeboks site.

Thanks.

See the Ball, See the ball, See the ball!!!!

mbyron Sun Aug 09, 2009 08:20pm

Champion Referee's Watch

GPC2 Tue Aug 11, 2009 03:18pm

WG,

I swear by this watch by Casio. The watch has a vibrating alarm, so there would be no need for you to constantly look down to see remaining time or worry about being able to hear an audible alarm. Also, you can set various intervals, so when I work BJ at a stadium with no 25-second clock, I set Interval 1 for 15 seconds and set Interval 2 for 10 seconds.

I don't know if that watch is still available or not, but if so I would highly recommend it.

mbyron Tue Aug 11, 2009 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC2 (Post 619958)
I don't know if that watch is still available or not, but if so I would highly recommend it.

Try this link.

toddskaggs Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:13pm

Timing device

Funny you ask...I was just moved from HL to BJ on my KY high school crew and I recently went searching for some device that would count down the 25 second play clock. I thought I remembered a small device that attached to your belt which would vibrate at 25 seconds.

I could not find it anywhere. I know it existed once upon a time. But Google and I turned up nothing!

Therefore I guess I'll stick to using my Timex Ironman watch and just set the timer to 25 seconds.

jaybird Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddskaggs (Post 620029)
Funny you ask...I was just moved from HL to BJ on my KY high school crew and I recently went searching for some device that would count down the 25 second play clock. I thought I remembered a small device that attached to your belt which would vibrate at 25 seconds.

I could not find it anywhere. I know it existed once upon a time. But Google and I turned up nothing!

Try looking on the inside front cover of the NFHS rule book. Ready Ref.

LDUB Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPC2 (Post 619958)
WG,

I swear by this watch by Casio. The watch has a vibrating alarm, so there would be no need for you to constantly look down to see remaining time or worry about being able to hear an audible alarm. Also, you can set various intervals, so when I work BJ at a stadium with no 25-second clock, I set Interval 1 for 15 seconds and set Interval 2 for 10 seconds.

I also have that watch. Since I have to give a visible count for the last 5 seconds I have the first interval at 20 seconds with the second one at 5. The vibration feature is very nice. The only thing that I do not like is that when using the countdown game timer it will reset if the reset button is pressed as opposed to having to be held down for a couple of seconds.

tjones1 Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by toddskaggs (Post 620029)

Therefore I guess I'll stick to using my Timex Ironman watch and just set the timer to 25 seconds.

Ready Ref

The Original Ready Ref Football Timer

Canned Heat Wed Aug 19, 2009 04:12pm

I've been using the Ready Ref for over 5 years now. The single best item that any crew can have, in my opinion. My BJ will wear it on Friday nights and I wear it during FR, JV, and Youth games...as our crew is then usually down to 4....sometimes 3 for youth.

infj23 Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:07am

watch

As a Referee, I always have this watch TEMPERATURE WATCH in my pocket. It's not so good for keeping the 25-second clock, but it's nice to have as a backup if the scoreboard clock fails. It also tells temp and humidity, which is an issue where I work. Of course, if the watch is in your pocket, it tells you the temp and humidity of your pocket. But take it out and swing it around a bit, and it will give you the actual. I always check it before the coaches meeting on warmish days so that when I talk to coaches about heat/humidity concerns, and they say "aw, it ain't that bad today," I know better.