The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Illinois: Here come black pants! (https://forum.officiating.com/football/53666-illinois-here-come-black-pants.html)

FredFan7 Wed Jun 17, 2009 09:59am

Illinois: Here come black pants!

IHSA - Announcements towards the bottom of the minutes of the meeting.

Are there any other states that allow black pants?

Will your crew adopt black pants this year?

I doubt our crew will use them this year.

Brett Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:13am

Interesting.

Is anyone even offering the cold weather NFL style pant for sale? I haven't seen it (but haven't looked that hard). I wouldn't mind wearing them. I think they look sharp.

HLin NC Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19am

We 've discussed this topic some before. I think Penn. allows them already but their version is basically a nylon windsuit style pant. To me, that drawcord waistband inhibits wind pants from being effective.

The NFL pants have grown on me. I could live without the white stripe but I think it looks infinitely better than the contrasting black stripe on white knickers, which I think is atrocious. I would also prefer the pants be a bit more tapered at the ankle or gathered with elastic.
The current baseball pant style- aka "pajama bottoms"- would be something to work off of.

Honig's will probably come out with a version when enough states certify them for use at the high school level. I'd look for the NCAA to pick them up next.

JRutledge Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:23am

We might. Then again this is something we have yet to talk about. I would be open to the possibility.

Peace

Forksref Wed Jun 17, 2009 01:11pm

In ND they were allowed last year for the first time. There really is no standard as to what they are. The guys who got them got a pair with a draw string and no belt loops. No stripe. They were some kind of a nylon-type sweat pant. Apparently, they were a pain to keep up. I think too many guys jumped on the bandwagon as if it were the newest fad and now they don't like them very much.

IMHO they looked like they were working a fraternity flag football league, not professional-looking at all. I refused to wear them so the rest of my crew didn't either. I was always warm enough with long Johns on. I think if a white stripe was added, they would look better, giving a 'verticality' to them. Otherwise, they make everyone look fat and dumpy. Kinda like a stereotypical umpire. (OOPS!) :D

Jim D. Wed Jun 17, 2009 01:16pm

Black pants or shorts - all I can say is that I won't wear them. First of all, I don't want to buy them - it's just spending extra money . Second, I don't like them - they look dumb. You can use the same arguments for and against shorts and black pants, but I think they look silly.

Rich Wed Jun 17, 2009 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 609375)
We might. Then again this is something we have yet to talk about. I would be open to the possibility.

Peace

Once a state or two adopt this, Honig's will be selling them. That's when I'll consider it, if Wisconsin offers this as an option. Then again, I think we're going to work 1 or 2 Illinois dates again starting in 2010, so maybe....

waltjp Wed Jun 17, 2009 01:41pm

I've heard from reliable sources, but nothing 'official' yet, NJ will be allowing black pants. Supposedly we have a supplier who is manufacturing all-black pants with two rear pockets and belt loops. Lacrosse officials have been wearing similar 'rain pants' for years. The problem with the lacrosse pants is that they only have a drawstring waist and tend to slide down, especially if you try to hang anything on the your waist.

KWH Wed Jun 17, 2009 02:38pm

I think the Black Pants look great;
When they are worn for EITHER the Sunday Adult Flag OR the Saturday Beerball league

Reffing Rev. Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:18am

I do not like black pants on Sunday
I do not like black pants on Saturday
I do not like black pants on Friday
I do not like black pants on Thursday
I could be convinced to trying black pants in a miserably misty frigid freshman game on a Monday...nah
I do not like black pants on Monday.

I wear enough black in my day job.

Welpe Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:35am

I don't know if any of you have seen the July issue of Referee however Cliff Keen is advertising in the front cover for black football official's pants that include belt loops and a zipper and button fly. These pants have a white stripe down the leg.

If you go further into the magazine, they are also advertising the same pants with no stripe for Lacrosse officials. It is only a matter of time before the other manufacturers start making them.

Edit: I just check the CK website and they are not on there yet.

mbyron Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. (Post 609591)
I could be convinced to trying black pants in a miserably misty frigid freshman game on a Monday...nah

I do not like black pants, Sam I am.

Tom.OH Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:13am

Quote:

Rev, I thought you were going into Dr Seuss mode there:D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I work for one assigner for youth and Jr High games and he wants black shorts (and pants for cold weather). I bought black softball shorts at Dicks Sporting goods last year. They have 4 pockets and belt loops just like the white shorts, no problems.
I already had black drawstring pants and I wore them 2-3 times last year. To "fix" the problem of them slipping down when loaded with the flag and bean bag I just wore the black shorts under them with the belt and tucked everything into them.

mcarr Mon Jun 22, 2009 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 609595)

Edit: I just check the CK website and they are not on there yet.

I emailed CK today and here was the response:

"Thank you for your inquiry. The black officiating pants should be posted in sometime in July and will be available in the fall."

JRutledge Mon Jun 22, 2009 04:47pm

Quote:

Change denomination and you might not have that problem. :D

Peace