The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA Major Conferences: Timed Mile requirements? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/53055-ncaa-major-conferences-timed-mile-requirements.html)

ljudge Sun May 03, 2009 09:33am

NCAA Major Conferences: Timed Mile requirements?

I read in referee magazine a while back some of the physical requirements for major NCAA conferences. I know a lot of conferences require officials to run a timed mile. I was curious as to what those required times are. Anyone know?

Texas Aggie Sun May 03, 2009 11:41pm

I can't speak to all conferences, of course, but the ones I'm familiar with (know people in; worked at camps that feed into, etc.) don't have any such requirements.

JRutledge Mon May 04, 2009 12:13am

I have never heard of that requirement either. Then again this is only based on what those that work those conferences have said. There might be such a requirement; I have just never heard them talk about this.

Peace

Ref Ump Welsch Mon May 04, 2009 11:42am

If there is such a requirement, does it actually have to be from running or does using a Sedgeway (I think I screwed that spelling up) count? :D

I know when I was in college, the football coach had a timed mile for the players. Certain positions were required to run under the prescribed times, and if they failed, then they had to run extra stadium steps on a daily basis. However, we did "exempt" a couple because they were able to swim the equivalent time or something other. Wonder if there would be such an exemption? Just curious.

HLin NC Mon May 04, 2009 02:43pm

Some time in the late 90's or early 2000, Fox Sports Net had a special about SEC officials. Some of the scenes showed the run they are required, seems like it was a mile and a half, maybe. They also followed Rocky Goode around as he was jogging to prepare for it. He even mentioned how much time they had to have it run but I forget it.

I've googled for the episode but can't find it. If you can ever find it, its a good inside look at CFB officiating.

BktBallRef Mon May 04, 2009 05:25pm

I believe the ACC expectation is 6 or 7 minutes.

parepat Fri May 08, 2009 02:36pm

THe Big 12 does have a mile requirement. All officials must beat Coach Mangino from Kansas in the mile.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri May 08, 2009 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by parepat (Post 600692)
THe Big 12 does have a mile requirement. All officials must beat Coach Mangino from Kansas in the mile.

Is that while Mangino is actually running or riding a Sedgeway? :D

HLin NC Fri May 08, 2009 03:40pm

Mangino would shatter a Segway. He needs that thing that takes the Space Shuttle out to the launch tower.
http://www.totalprosports.com/blog/w...arkmangino.jpg

Ref Ump Welsch Sat May 09, 2009 10:19am

I don't know if you've heard the biggest joke in the Big 12 the past few years with Mangino being a bit on the successful side (and being a Nebraska Husker fan, I bust out laughing with my pants peeing, beer flying, and rolling on the floor like a hyena). It goes something like this:

Mangino gets pulled over by the Missouri State Patrol, apparently looking lost somewhere in Kansas City. When the friendly patrolman asks if he could be of assistance, Coach Mangino says "Yeah, I'm trying to get to 435" (meaning I-435 for those of you who aren't familiar with KC). The friendly officer says, "You can get there by losing some weight!"

w_sohl Sat May 09, 2009 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 600864)
I don't know if you've heard the biggest joke in the Big 12 the past few years with Mangino being a bit on the successful side (and being a Nebraska Husker fan, I bust out laughing with my pants peeing, beer flying, and rolling on the floor like a hyena). It goes something like this:

Mangino gets pulled over by the Missouri State Patrol, apparently looking lost somewhere in Kansas City. When the friendly patrolman asks if he could be of assistance, Coach Mangino says "Yeah, I'm trying to get to 435" (meaning I-435 for those of you who aren't familiar with KC). The friendly officer says, "You can get there by losing some weight!"

That's a Charlie Weiss joke and the cop tells him he can start by not eating McDonalds anymore.

mbyron Sun May 10, 2009 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 600917)
That's a Charlie Weiss joke and the cop tells him he can start by not eating McDonalds anymore.

I'm sure that many obese people are the butt of this joke. The McDonalds version is punchier.

w_sohl Sun May 10, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 600963)
I'm sure that many obese people are the butt of this joke. The McDonalds version is punchier.

I know, but I like the Weiss version better. Go Boilermakers!!!

bossman72 Sun May 10, 2009 09:45pm

The only D1 requirement I know of (from ppl that work it) is they do have weigh-ins at the beginning of the season.