The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Another IP question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/52787-another-ip-question.html)

mikesears Fri Apr 10, 2009 07:18am

Another IP question

1/10 from A's 20-yard line. A32 takes a handoff and heads toward the sideline on the short side of the field. Pulling guard A50, trying to lead block accidentally steps out of bounds at the A-24 yard line. Knowing he went out of bounds, he stays out of bounds. B99 is in pursuit of A32 and as he passes A50, A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line. A32 runs for an apparent touchdown.

Result?

jaybird Fri Apr 10, 2009 07:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 595100)
1/10 from A's 20-yard line. A32 takes a handoff and heads toward the sideline on the short side of the field. Pulling guard A50, trying to lead block accidentally steps out of bounds at the A-24 yard line. Knowing he went out of bounds, he stays out of bounds. B99 is in pursuit of A32 and as he passes A50, A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line. A32 runs for an apparent touchdown.

Result?

IP on A50, enforced 15 yards from the A30.
1/15 @ A15, snap.

ajmc Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 595100)

Result?

Clearly A50 is guilty of IP. The spot of the foul would be the A-30YL, enforcing the 15 yard penalty would bring the ball back to the A-15 YL, where you'd repeat 1st down, and 15 yards to go to reach the original LTG.

Jim D. Fri Apr 10, 2009 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 595200)
Clearly A50 is guilty of IP. The spot of the foul would be the A-30YL, enforcing the 15 yard penalty would bring the ball back to the A-15 YL, where you'd repeat 1st down, and 15 yards to go to reach the original LTG.

I have to disagree here. When A50 steps out of bounds, he does not lose his status as a player (he does not become a replaced player or a substitute see (2-32-1). He cannot return inbounds (9-6-1) during the down, but he can interfere or particapate in the play in a legal maner. For example, he could reach over the sideline inbounds and touch a loose ball (causing it to be dead). If he were an eligible receiver, he could knock a pass down, keeping B from an interception. In this play, he could be called for a hold, but he cannot be called for IP unless he returns inbounds.

mikesears Fri Apr 10, 2009 02:49pm

So the question is, can a player who is out of bounds commit illegal participation if he stays out of bounds? I think an answer to this question would answer both of the IP posts.

kdf5 Fri Apr 10, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595219)
I have to disagree here. When A50 steps out of bounds, he does not lose his status as a player (he does not become a replaced player or a substitute see (2-32-1). He cannot return inbounds (9-6-1) during the down, but he can interfere or particapate in the play in a legal maner. For example, he could reach over the sideline inbounds and touch a loose ball (causing it to be dead). If he were an eligible receiver, he could knock a pass down, keeping B from an interception. In this play, he could be called for a hold, but he cannot be called for IP unless he returns inbounds.

But doesn't he "return" when he grabs B99? By the definition of Participation he had an influence on the play.

Jim D. Fri Apr 10, 2009 03:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesears (Post 595238)
So the question is, can a player who is out of bounds commit illegal participation if he stays out of bounds? I think an answer to this question would answer both of the IP posts.

And the answer is no. If you read the IP rules, the only way a player (as opposed to a replaced player, subsititue, coach, trainer, etc.) can commit IP is by returning inbounds.

The IP rules cover:
9-6-1 requires returning inbounds
9-6-2 requires returning inbounds
9-6-3 only covers non-players
9-6-4 a requires entering and participating
9-6-4-b only covers injured player
9-6-4-c covers 12 players
9-6-4-d covers pretend sub
9-6-4-e covers deception
9-6-4-f covers deception

As you can see, if a player stays out of bounds and doesn't re-enter, there is no rule that prohibits his involvement in the play.

Jim D. Fri Apr 10, 2009 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 595240)
But doesn't he "return" when he grabs B99? By the definition of Participation he had an influence on the play.

He is allowed to participate in the play - he is a player remains a player until a sub enters for him. If he retains his status as a player he retains his right to legally participate in the play. The only thing he can't do is return to the field of play. You can't equate "particpating" in the play with returning in bounds -they aren't the same. If he reaches in to bat a ball, knock down a pass or grab B, he is particpating in the play, but he has not returned inbounds by doing it. He might particpate (legal) , he might return inbounds (illegal) or do both, but they aren't the same.

Jim D. Fri Apr 10, 2009 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 595240)

If you notice how 9-6-2 and 9-6-3 are written, you'll see a difference. 9-6-3, which covers non-players, goes into detail to prohibit hindering an opponent, touching the ball, influencing the play, etc. It's much more restrictive that 9-6-1 and 9-6-2 which only prohibit a player going out and returning. There are no additional restrictions on a player participating.

ajmc Sat Apr 11, 2009 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595254)
If you notice how 9-6-2 and 9-6-3 are written, you'll see a difference. 9-6-3, which covers non-players, goes into detail to prohibit hindering an opponent, touching the ball, influencing the play, etc. It's much more restrictive that 9-6-1 and 9-6-2 which only prohibit a player going out and returning. There are no additional restrictions on a player participating.

JimD, forgive me for sounding harsh, but your assessment seems like a perfect example of how reading way too much into the verbiage of a (any) rule can take a relatively simple, clearly defined principle and try and turn it into total confusion and mush.

Considering the original example, am I correct in understanding you are actually suggesting that, "A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line" is legal because A50 did not step back inside the line before making contact?

If so, I suggest you read section 9.6 of the Case Book, from a perspective of trying to understand what is intended rather than trying to find some incoccuous loophole that exists only in your mind because of your hyper-technical interpretation of the verbiage. As I understand your concept, an offensive player could legally exit the field at one 10 yard line, shadow the runner while OOB (unobstructed of course) down to the other 10 yard line, reach back over the sideline and legally contact a defender pursuing the runner, and be fine as long as he doesn't step back inbounds. (Note: the language of 9.6.1 requiring a player, "blocked OOB by an opponent and returns inbounds during the down, he shall return at the first opportunity", technically only restricts a player blocked OOB)

9.6.1 Situation A "Comment" is really all you need to read, if you reflect on what message the comment is trying to impart, rather than nitpicking the words selected to impart it.

Please, this isn't rocket science and you can't twist it into flying us to the moon.

Robert Goodman Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595247)
He is allowed to participate in the play - he is a player remains a player until a sub enters for him. If he retains his status as a player he retains his right to legally participate in the play. The only thing he can't do is return to the field of play.

What if he's wearing an eligible receiver number, waits until the next down (so he's not returning during the down), and returns
  1. before the ball is snapped, or
  2. after the ball is snapped,
and then runs downfield to catch a pass? Is either a case of simulated substitution, or is it not a feigned substitution procedure unless he was out of bounds close to his team's bench area?

Robert in the Bronx

kdf5 Sun Apr 12, 2009 08:38am

I understand your thoughts on his player status and how it relates to 9-6. I find the phrase "and return" to be much more nebulous than "touching". If he reaches into the field of play and drags down another player then he has returned and has influenced the play while doing so from out of bounds.

ajmc Sun Apr 12, 2009 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 595464)
I understand your thoughts on his player status and how it relates to 9-6. I find the phrase "and return" to be much more nebulous than "touching". If he reaches into the field of play and drags down another player then he has returned and has influenced the play while doing so from out of bounds.

Are you suggesting that sometimes the common sense understanding of a word's meaning can expand it's purpose beyond a strict interpretation of it's litteral presentation? Nebulous is neither a straight, nor bright line.

kdf5 Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:45am

I've never said there isn't room for interpretation. I'm saying there are a number of ways a player can return and reaching into the field of play while standing OB and dragging a player down is certainly one, but there's either touching or not and no precedent as to the basketball-like definition of out of bounds in football. Peace.

ajmc Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdf5 (Post 595479)
I've never said there isn't room for interpretation. I'm saying there are a number of ways a player can return and reaching into the field of play while standing OB and dragging a player down is certainly one, but there's either touching or not and no precedent as to the basketball-like definition of out of bounds in football. Peace.

Don't allow yourself to be swayed by calling a definition "basketball-like", it's just sensible. If that player, who was running OOB leaped into the air before he reached from OOB to pull that runner down, would that make him legal?

daggo66 Sun Apr 12, 2009 06:48pm

It would make him superman.:rolleyes:

Jim D. Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 595337)
JimD, forgive me for sounding harsh, but your assessment seems like a perfect example of how reading way too much into the verbiage of a (any) rule can take a relatively simple, clearly defined principle and try and turn it into total confusion and mush.

Considering the original example, am I correct in understanding you are actually suggesting that, "A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line" is legal because A50 did not step back inside the line before making contact?

If so, I suggest you read section 9.6 of the Case Book, from a perspective of trying to understand what is intended rather than trying to find some incoccuous loophole that exists only in your mind because of your hyper-technical interpretation of the verbiage. As I understand your concept, an offensive player could legally exit the field at one 10 yard line, shadow the runner while OOB (unobstructed of course) down to the other 10 yard line, reach back over the sideline and legally contact a defender pursuing the runner, and be fine as long as he doesn't step back inbounds. (Note: the language of 9.6.1 requiring a player, "blocked OOB by an opponent and returns inbounds during the down, he shall return at the first opportunity", technically only restricts a player blocked OOB)

9.6.1 Situation A "Comment" is really all you need to read, if you reflect on what message the comment is trying to impart, rather than nitpicking the words selected to impart it.

Please, this isn't rocket science and you can't twist it into flying us to the moon.

My goodness! I was not trying to find some innocuous loophole using hyper-technical interpretations. I was just trying to figure out if a player who steps out of bounds can touch a ball that's still inbounds without penalty. Say if a player steps out in diving for a fumble, but manages to touch a ball that's still inbounds or perhaps reaches back to bat a pass that's still inbounds, is that IP? Even reading the comments in the Case Book 9-6, I think he can do it legally.

Jim D. Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 595379)
What if he's wearing an eligible receiver number, waits until the next down (so he's not returning during the down), and returns
  1. before the ball is snapped, or
  2. after the ball is snapped,
and then runs downfield to catch a pass? Is either a case of simulated substitution, or is it not a feigned substitution procedure unless he was out of bounds close to his team's bench area?

Robert in the Bronx

Yes, then you're in the pretending substition rules. It is illegal on that basis.

ajmc Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595656)
My goodness! I was not trying to find some innocuous loophole using hyper-technical interpretations. I was just trying to figure out if a player who steps out of bounds can touch a ball that's still inbounds without penalty. Say if a player steps out in diving for a fumble, but manages to touch a ball that's still inbounds or perhaps reaches back to bat a pass that's still inbounds, is that IP? Even reading the comments in the Case Book 9-6, I think he can do it legally.

Hold on Jim, you've got apples and oranges going on here. Your first example was questioning the legality of a player who, "Knowing he went out of bounds, he stays out of bounds. B99 is in pursuit of A32 and as he passes A50, A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line. A32 runs for an apparent touchdown", which is near the opposite end of the spectrum to, "a player steps out in diving for a fumble, but manages to touch a ball that's still inbounds or perhaps reaches back to bat a pass that's still inbounds".

There is (almost) always a problem when you try and apply a, "one size fits all" approach to hypothetical situations at opposite ends of the spectrum. I believe that is partially the reason NFHS rules rely, as often as they do, on the judgment (common sense and logic) of field officials to deal with a wide range of "unique" situations.

Jim D. Mon Apr 13, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 595661)
Hold on Jim, you've got apples and oranges going on here. Your first example was questioning the legality of a player who, "Knowing he went out of bounds, he stays out of bounds. B99 is in pursuit of A32 and as he passes A50, A50 reaches into the field (staying out of bounds) and pulls B99 down to the ground at the A-30 yard line. A32 runs for an apparent touchdown", which is near the opposite end of the spectrum to, "a player steps out in diving for a fumble, but manages to touch a ball that's still inbounds or perhaps reaches back to bat a pass that's still inbounds".

There is (almost) always a problem when you try and apply a, "one size fits all" approach to hypothetical situations at opposite ends of the spectrum. I believe that is partially the reason NFHS rules rely, as often as they do, on the judgment (common sense and logic) of field officials to deal with a wide range of "unique" situations.

In the case where A50 pulls down B99, it's illegal because it's a hold or illegal use of the hands. A50 can't do that whether he's inbounds or out of bounds. I agree it's illegal because it's an illegal act. I don't believe it's illegal participation though.

The question remains, if an offensive player goes out of bounds (not blocked out), how much is allowed to do?

We know he retains his status as a player (rule 2-32).

We know he retains his status as an eligible receiver (7-5-6-d)

We know he cannot return inbounds during the down (9-6-1).

However the question is on how much can he influence, hinder or touch the play inbounds assuming he doesn't come back in bounds? I don't find any additional restrictions on his ability to legally do any of those things. In other words, if he could legally touch a pass before he went out of bounds, he retains the ability to legally touch an inbounds pass while he is out of bounds. I don't think I'm stretching the rules at all.

ajmc Mon Apr 13, 2009 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595665)

However the question is on how much can he influence, hinder or touch the play inbounds assuming he doesn't come back in bounds? I don't find any additional restrictions on his ability to legally do any of those things. In other words, if he could legally touch a pass before he went out of bounds, he retains the ability to legally touch an inbounds pass while he is out of bounds. I don't think I'm stretching the rules at all.

Isn't "how much" a question that applies to just about every rule? The answer is usually found in the judgment of the covering official, based on what he actually observed, which may or may not be a complete view of the action.

As for a player, eligible to touch a pass before going OOB, being able to touch a pass, thats inbounds, after he went OOB, legality seems dependent on the, "what, where, why and under what circumstances", the touching occured, which would be unique to the play in question.

dumbref Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D. (Post 595665)
In the case where A50 pulls down B99, it's illegal because it's a hold or illegal use of the hands. A50 can't do that whether he's inbounds or out of bounds. I agree it's illegal because it's an illegal act. I don't believe it's illegal participation though.

The question remains, if an offensive player goes out of bounds (not blocked out), how much is allowed to do?

We know he retains his status as a player (rule 2-32).

We know he retains his status as an eligible receiver (7-5-6-d)

We know he cannot return inbounds during the down (9-6-1).

Jim,

I can’t refute anything you have stated the way the rules are written. But I also believe you are pointing out the holes in the rules that violate the spirit of the rule. I think a player blocking (legal or illegally) from OOB violates the spirit of the rule. By the same token, I do not think the simple act of returning to the field, without effecting the play, necessarily violates the spirit of the rule. I doubt seriously you would flag A99 for returning during the down if the play was twenty yards beyond him. It may be time to take a serious look at the verbiage of 9-6 and clean it up.

With the tweak in OPI, I also think it’s time to re-think pass eligibility in 7-5-6d. If an A player voluntarily steps OOB, he should become ineligible. If he touches a pass it becomes illegal touching. Illegal touching would have to be expanded to include any loose ball situation for that player.

If he contacts or influences a player (whether he returns or not), it should be IP. Now, the spot where he returned may still be the enforcement spot (bag it) and it may require a special enforcement (like we don’t have any), but it should not be a foul until he does something to effect the play and more specifically a player.

wwcfoa43 Tue Apr 14, 2009 02:52pm

Canadian Ruling

This is where the Canadian version is perhaps better worded since its code set stipulates that a player who leaves the field of play (with exceptions) must not participate further in the play.

This is probably better than prohibiting returning because (a) it covers the fact that in some cases we want the player to return (to get out of the opponent's bench area!) and (b) we don't want him to affect the play after going out.

Jim D. Tue Apr 14, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 (Post 595979)
This is where the Canadian version is perhaps better worded since its code set stipulates that a player who leaves the field of play (with exceptions) must not participate further in the play.

This is probably better than prohibiting returning because (a) it covers the fact that in some cases we want the player to return (to get out of the opponent's bench area!) and (b) we don't want him to affect the play after going out.

It seems like it would solve all of the issues we've been discussing in this and the other thread.

Has it presented enforcement problems in that you would have a player legally on the field who cannot participate in the play?