The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Wings switch (https://forum.officiating.com/football/52737-wings-switch.html)

Forksref Mon Apr 06, 2009 08:50am

Wings switch

This idea came up at a meeting of whitehats last night: L and LJ switch sides at half-time (chains stay where they are).

Everyone was in agreement that it would be good for the wings to have a different sideline to deal with in the 2nd half. Our guys are experienced enough to do 2 different positions in the same game, plus they have half-time to get ready.

This would have to be approved by our state as a pilot program.

What do you think of this idea?

Sonofanump Mon Apr 06, 2009 09:16am

It is done at the highest level.

Jim D. Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofanump (Post 594303)
It is done at the highest level.

Not really. In the NFL, the chains move at half time so the HL stays the HL throughout the game. There is no position switch by the crew.

The HL and the chains need to establish a relationship and learn to work together. To disrupt this half way through the game would be foolish and could lead to problems. No two HL work the same and no chain crew is the same.

A qualified official should be able to deal with a coach for a whole game.

Bob M. Mon Apr 06, 2009 01:09pm

REPLY: As I mentioned on the Fed board, C-USA does this--the HL and LJ switch positions at the half. Chains stay put. Personally, I don't like it but I guess Mr. Austin does.

JugglingReferee Mon Apr 06, 2009 01:36pm

If the HL and LJ change what side they're on, but the chains do not change, then by definition, aren't the HL and LJ switching responsibilities, and therefore, names?

Ref Ump Welsch Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 594387)
If the HL and LJ change what side they're on, but the chains do not change, then by definition, aren't the HL and LJ switching responsibilities, and therefore, names?

New HL: Hello Coach.

Coach: Hey, who are you?

New HL: I'm s**t for brains.

Coach: Who was the other guy?

New HL: He was s**t for brains too.

Coach: Soooo, where is he?

New HL: He's on the other side, being dung for brains.

:D

MNBlue Mon Apr 06, 2009 02:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 594290)
This idea came up at a meeting of whitehats last night: L and LJ switch sides at half-time (chains stay where they are).

Everyone was in agreement that it would be good for the wings to have a different sideline to deal with in the 2nd half. Our guys are experienced enough to do 2 different positions in the same game, plus they have half-time to get ready.

Why? What is the purpose? Why would it be good to have a different sideline to deal with?

My wings certainly are bright enough to make the switch, but I don't see the purpose.

HLin NC Mon Apr 06, 2009 07:40pm

So do C-USA wings swap plackets at halftime, bring both, or have HLJ. Maybe we should all just switch to "W".

goodnews Mon Apr 06, 2009 08:07pm

wings

I agree that the hl and chain crew should stay a team for the entire game. At thehigh school level we are somrtimes lucky to get a crew that will stay put until we tell them to move. Most wings could make the swap but why do it?

FredFan7 Tue Apr 07, 2009 08:49am

If the chains switch at halftime, the wings should switch too.

However, I don't see the need to do this at the HS level.

Ed Hickland Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 594290)

I have more questions than answers:

What is the benefit? Will it approve officiating? If so, how and why?

New York does not allow placards but for those who do use them would you change at halftime?

Do you see any issues with chain crews who would be working with different officials who may do the same thing differently?

Usually a LJ and HL are interchangeable but during a game. Know someone mentioned Dr. Austin and C-USA do it and he has numerous years of NFL experience and probably some insight that maybe he has shared.

rockyroad Tue Apr 07, 2009 02:05pm

From a coach's viewpoint, I fail to see the benefit. I/we have established a "rapport" with the official on our sideline during the first half. Bringing a different official to our sideline does nothing to improve the game in my opinion. To the contrary, it sends us a message that we were somehow out of line and needed someone else over there to "take care of us".

If I/we are being such a$$es that the official on our sideline feels he needs a change, then something should have been done about it earlier - that's what USC flags are for, right?

I guess I just don't see how it is going to make things "better."

daggo66 Fri Apr 10, 2009 07:22am

Maybe the R and BJ should switch also.:)

jaybird Fri Apr 10, 2009 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 595101)
Maybe the R and BJ should switch also.:)

... and the U could switch with the concession vender!

Ed Hickland Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 594654)
From a coach's viewpoint, I fail to see the benefit. I/we have established a "rapport" with the official on our sideline during the first half. Bringing a different official to our sideline does nothing to improve the game in my opinion. To the contrary, it sends us a message that we were somehow out of line and needed someone else over there to "take care of us".

If I/we are being such a$$es that the official on our sideline feels he needs a change, then something should have been done about it earlier - that's what USC flags are for, right?

I guess I just don't see how it is going to make things "better."

So, if you fail to achieve "rapport" then it is ok to flag for a USC?