The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFL changes 2009 (https://forum.officiating.com/football/52557-nfl-changes-2009-a.html)

Robert Goodman Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:41am

NFL changes 2009

No comment here on rules that some of you will probably be administering come 2010? (Considering that some minor leagues incorporate by reference the previous season's NFL rules.) I've seen only a Yahoo news story that left details unclear, so I won't both posting here unless nobody has anything else on them.

Robert in the Bronx

Welpe Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:03pm

I don't work convict football (aka adult "semi-pro") so I haven't really noticed.

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by welpe (Post 591930)
i don't work convict football (aka adult "semi-pro") so i haven't really noticed.

I like this for quote of the year! :D

Sonofanump Fri Mar 27, 2009 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 591930)
I don't work convict football (aka adult "semi-pro") so I haven't really noticed.

7th graders in adult bodies.

HossHumard Fri Mar 27, 2009 05:27pm

We call it the "Senior Mens Correctional League" up here...it can get pretty nasty.

One game I had these two knuckleheads screaming/threatening each other with certain death and destruction on the next play (only minutes left in the game) so I tossed them both out. They screamed bloody murder and said, "You can't do that...blah, blah blah."

I said, "I can. And I just did. Bye now." Best DQ I ever made....

HLin NC Sat Mar 28, 2009 08:30am

I used to call some club football at App State on Sunday afternoons. It was awful but it was a quick $75. We made them play Fed rules as to not have to buy NCAA manuals.

The one NFL rule change I heard was K no longer gets a "do-over" on an onside kick OB. Total Access covered it in the owner's meeting this week and one opponent of changing it says "it takes the element of surprise out of the game".
Ummm if you kick it OB, the surprise is sorta, I dunno, like, gone.:rolleyes:

Robert Goodman Sat Mar 28, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 592113)
I used to call some club football at App State on Sunday afternoons. It was awful but it was a quick $75. We made them play Fed rules as to not have to buy NCAA manuals.

The one NFL rule change I heard was K no longer gets a "do-over" on an onside kick OB. Total Access covered it in the owner's meeting this week and one opponent of changing it says "it takes the element of surprise out of the game".

One thing it does take out is a judgement of intent. NFL put that distinction in a few years ago, where you had to figure whether it was an onside attempt.

LDUB Mon Mar 30, 2009 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 592113)
Ummm if you kick it OB, the surprise is sorta, I dunno, like, gone.:rolleyes:

The surprise was the first kick. Only at the end of the game (half?) did a kick out of bounds give B the ball. During the middle of the game if the kick went out of bounds A would get to kick again; this put more surprise in the game because A could risk the short kick because they knew if it went out of bounds they could just kick it deep on the next kick. With the new rule not allowing A to kick again less teams will kick it short because they don't want to risk giving B the ball at the spot the kick went out of bounds.

indi456 Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:33pm