The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

NASO Letter to Buffalo Wild Wings

Did anyone catch the letter shown in the NASO version of referee magazine that was sent to Buffalo Wild Wings because they were ticked off that they portrayed a referee in the commercial as being dishonest/unethical? (The one where he goes into the replay booth and it's linked to a BWW restaurant and they reverse the call so everyone can stay longer).

I mean.... ARE YOU SERIOUS NASO???? WOWWWW!!!

Someone needs a sense of humor!
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:14pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

What a joke. That's a sucky thing to do, NASO.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:32pm
Archaic Power Monger

Is this in the March or April issue? I haven't seen the letter yet.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

April issue. It's in the NASO insert part of the magazine.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I guess the US Sports Photographers will also be writing a letter since the latest commercial has a photographer with a huge flash sending the game into OT.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Did anyone catch the letter shown in the NASO version of referee magazine that was sent to Buffalo Wild Wings because they were ticked off that they portrayed a referee in the commercial as being dishonest/unethical? (The one where he goes into the replay booth and it's linked to a BWW restaurant and they reverse the call so everyone can stay longer).

I thought that ad was funny. I also like the one where the baseball manager reflects the light into the outfields eyes and he brings in the worthless pitcher as the closer.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hey NASO, "lighten up, Francis!".
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 10:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
April issue. It's in the NASO insert part of the magazine.
Thanks. I received my April issue yesterday and read the letter last night. I personally think the ads are funny with the baseball and the basketball ones being my favorite. The premise of the ads is absurd anyways so why not have some fun with it?

NASO is starting to annoy me with some of these things. I'm not sure I will be renewing my membership when it comes due later this year.
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I like the commercial too. I wasn't offended by it. If you read the article, you'll see that they "responded to member complaints." Apparently they got enough complaints from people who don't have the keen senses of humor we do and felt the need to speak up for them. Just my $.02
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 01:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I was embarrassed for NASO...

...but I am constantly annoyed by that organization.

I am a high school official and I'm sure many of NASO's members are. How many regular HS officials are on their board? In any position of influence? No, they go after the big name college and professional officials for those positions. Frankly, if it wasn't for the NASO insurance and the Marriott VIP card, I would've bagged the membership a long time ago.

Barry Mano is really offended by this commercial? He (and NASO) needs to get a grip. I just saw the commercial the other day and found it funny, like I always do.

Does ANYONE here really agree with NASO?
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I may be alone, but I found that commercial offensive. Too many people firmly believe that sports offials are biased, and cheat in favor of one team. And I retired from officiating 10 years ago.

Bob
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't NASO also send a letter to Subway for the ad where the white hat admits he blew a call, but not to worry because "we'll even things out later"?

How about the Bud ad with the HL getting screamed at by the coaches, then cut to his wife doing the same thing at home (no change of expression). Where's the letter for THAT one? Invasion of my privacy!!
Old Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post
Didn't NASO also send a letter to Subway for the ad where the white hat admits he blew a call, but not to worry because "we'll even things out later"?

How about the Bud ad with the HL getting screamed at by the coaches, then cut to his wife doing the same thing at home (no change of expression). Where's the letter for THAT one? Invasion of my privacy!!
That was YOU?

Bob
Old Sun Mar 22, 2009, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would not call myself offended, but I would not call myself pleased either. I did find the commercials funny on some level, but to suggest that this does not perpetuate a stereotype is also not accurate in my opinion either. Believe it or not, when people think you fit a stereotype (whether it is for officials or any other group), they treat you differently. And in many ways this stereotype is at the root of many of our problems and confrontations we have. If the average public realized how absurd their claims about officials were, they would stop repeating them. I see NASO's point, but I do not know if calling for an apology is going to solve it either.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Mike Pereira said he stopped eating at Subway after they came out with a commercial in which a football official admitted to cheating. I believe this is the commercial.

YouTube - Subway Commercial -- Referee

That commercial is different than the BBW commercial. I don't think anyone actually believes that officials cheat after talking with people in a restaurant. The Subway commercial implies that officials actually are cheating.