The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Speaking of patches on uniforms...

How many state associations wear the round, red "Federation" patch for 5 years as a certified official?

In La. they go on the left sleeve, so that is why the flag goes on the right sleeve. Until a couple of years ago the flag was on the right chest.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:47am
Archaic Power Monger

No such thing here. Officials in CA are not required to register with the state nor the Fed.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
All certified officials in NJ wear an NJSIAA patch on our left sleeve. You must be certified to work varsity level games.

The flag patch varies by chapter and sport. My baseball and football associations wear the flag on the back of the shirt below the collar. Lacrosse wears the flag on above the front pocket. (Meaning I need different shirts for football and lacrosse!)

I am not in favor of wearing the flag patch.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not even know what that patch is.

Everyone in our state that works an IHSA game has to wear an IHSA Patch on their left shoulder. The only other patch that can be worn is for those that have worked a State Final that goes under the IHSA Patch. And you are allowed to wear a flag on the other shoulder, but that is completely optional.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not even know what that patch is.

Everyone in our state that works an IHSA game has to wear an IHSA Patch on their left shoulder. The only other patch that can be worn is for those that have worked a State Final that goes under the IHSA Patch. And you are allowed to wear a flag on the other shoulder, but that is completely optional.

Peace
So you get a special patch for working a championship game? Like how big are we talking? That's pretty cool.

In La., you wear and LHSAA patch above your pocket and a flag patch on your right sleeve.

In La. you can be classified as either registered, approved or certified based on your performance on the annual rules test. You are automatically registered your first season and then after that if you score 70-79 you stay registered, 80-89 approved and 90-100 certified (pay is also determined by which of those three categories you fall in).

If you have worked for 5 seasons as a certified official, there is a circular red patch that NFHS provides that goes on your left sleeve.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know it existed either. The patch we get when we register goes on the pocket. This year they switched to a permanent patch. We used to get new ones every year. I'm not sure about association patches but I believe the go on the right sleeve.

RMR - Are you sure that doesn't come from your state association?

MI finals officials get a special patch also. The ones I've seen fit around our state patch.

Last edited by Matt-MI; Fri Feb 13, 2009 at 12:41pm.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
So you get a special patch for working a championship game? Like how big are we talking? That's pretty cool.
It is smaller than the state patch. About a 3rd as big as the state patch which is not that big (we used to have a patch in the shape of the state).

Quote:
In La., you wear and LHSAA patch above your pocket and a flag patch on your right sleeve.

In La. you can be classified as either registered, approved or certified based on your performance on the annual rules test. You are automatically registered your first season and then after that if you score 70-79 you stay registered, 80-89 approved and 90-100 certified (pay is also determined by which of those three categories you fall in).

If you have worked for 5 seasons as a certified official, there is a circular red patch that NFHS provides that goes on your left sleeve.
We have similar classification but it is not tied to tests alone. And once you reach a certain level, you stay at tha level unless you do not renew your license or put on suspension of some kind.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI View Post
I didn't know it existed either. The patch we get when we register goes on the pocket. This year they switched to a permanent patch. We used to get new ones every year. I'm not sure about association patches but I believe the go on the right sleeve.

RMR - Are you sure that doesn't come from your state association?

MI finals officials get a special patch also. The ones I've seen fit around our state patch.
It is distributed by the state association, but they get them from NFHS.

It is a circular red patch with an outline of the USA on it in white, with a white whistle superimposed on it and the words "National Federation" all in white.

I know La. basketball officials can get them as well.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
It is distributed by the state association, but they get them from NFHS.

It is a circular red patch with an outline of the USA on it in white, with a white whistle superimposed on it and the words "National Federation" all in white.

I know La. basketball officials can get them as well.
I love, LOVE Wisconsin's "clean shirt" policy. No patches. No bother.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

You can see half of one here. It was the best pic I could find of one.

Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly didn't know that existed...been doing NFHS in WI for more than 10....almost 15. Hmmmm.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Honestly didn't know that existed...been doing NFHS in WI for more than 10....almost 15. Hmmmm. That WI clean shirt policy is in rare form around here...(West Bend). Nothing wrong with the U.S. flag, and if it was up to me it would be required.
Old Fri Feb 13, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

In the past 30+ years had never seen it or even heard of such.

Oklahoma used to have an Oklahoma Officials Association (OOA) patch that was to be on every shirt in every sport but they discontinued them a few years back for several reasons, mainly cost.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 02:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Nothing wrong with the U.S. flag, and if it was up to me it would be required.
Glad it is not up to you.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 09:05am
Chain of Fools

Don't know if NC has a clean shirt policy or not but I've never seen any group in FB wearing any patch here since the 70's.