The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2009, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
the WHAT?

The rule did not change, however the AR as written in 2007 changed in 2008 to now classify the "get away" signal as an invalid signal and therefore the ball becomes dead when recovered by any team as it normally would.
Thanks, that was my understanding as well. I thought all along that nothing had changed with the rule but that an interpretation had been issued based on philosophy in the form of an approved ruling.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan View Post
if you have a situation in high school football under fed rules where the returner gives that "get away" signal, and then retrieves the ball and starts to run what would you call? i would like to hear different opinions on this exact situation.

would someone please answer my question?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Let me try again, there are only 3 signals; Fair Catch, Invalid Fair Catch and Illegal Fair Catch (which applies only to the runner). There is no such thing as a "get away signal" under the NF code.

If a player invents some sort of signal to warn his teammates to stay away from the ball, unless it meets the requirements of a Fair Catch signal, or in the judgment of the covering official could be interpreted as an invalid FC signal, it's nothing.

Now what kind of hand or arm movement might be interpreted as a possible invalid FC signal may vary between officials. As always rational, sound judgment is the deciding factor.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
would someone please answer my question?
waltjp did, and then ajmc did.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Having not seen the signal given, I can't say for sure but it sounds like it could be an invalid FC signal. I hope it doesn't become another trend that we have to deal with.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
waltjp did, and then ajmc did.

yes they did, with a lot of "i think" and "maybe". it is probably going to happen sooner than later, we should all be on the same page.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Then maybe you should ask the Fed, instead of your fellow officials, if you don't like the way your fellow officials answer your questions.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
yes they did, with a lot of "i think" and "maybe". it is probably going to happen sooner than later, we should all be on the same page.
Unfortunately, getting on the same page is pretty much impossible for a group of officials all across the country with only a message board between them. In order to get even close to a consensus we will all have to see various videos. As has been proven on here, one video will get you many different interpretations.

As a side point, where in ajmc's post does he use "maybe?" He made a very good attempt at trying to sort out a very difficult issue that does not have one good answer.