The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Controversy in Florida (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49673-controversy-florida.html)

OverAndBack Sat Nov 01, 2008 08:40pm

Controversy in Florida

Incomplete pass or fumble?

Camera person and referee were both in great position. You make the call.

(PS the comments are funny)

JRutledge Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:00pm

It looks like it was a pass. You know what it was a dumb play by the quarterback. You are giving up a possibility to make a play and make it harder for the official to rule properly on the play. I have no sympathy for the team that was throwing the ball away. He was too cute for his own good.

Peace

OverAndBack Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:02pm

(I think it was the punter, but no matter.)

JugglingReferee Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:11pm

Easy call: incomplete pass. We as officials should never believe that a play near the goal line will be run-of-the-mill. Be ready for anything, and step up when required.

JRutledge Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAndBack (Post 547977)
(I think it was the punter, but no matter.)

I have called that a few times near the goal line if that was the punter. It was a dump play anyway.

Peace

dumbref Sat Nov 01, 2008 09:40pm

Agree it was a pass - Mat have been IG as well. Can't tell if there was someone out of the frame.

BoBo Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:27am

Incomplete as well and yes intentional grounding could be possible

Rich Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58am

IG is likely. It's also clearly a forward pass, although I could see the referee get screened at the last second here.

MRH Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:58am

Incomplete pass.

Based on the view of the video I would rule IG. With the loss of down provision (assuming it was 4th down) R takes possession just outside the goal line.

prosec34 Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:19pm

Incomplete pass. Regarding IG, it looks like 45 might be an intended target. Hard to tell, though.

JRutledge Sun Nov 02, 2008 01:25pm

Well that is if you decide that the attempt to get rid of the pass was not purposely to save a loss. I really do not think he was trying to complete a pass. At least he wasn't with that motion.

Rich Sun Nov 02, 2008 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 548044)
Well that is if you decide that the attempt to get rid of the pass was not purposely to save a loss. I really do not think he was trying to complete a pass. At least he wasn't with that motion.

Me either. Ruling correctly here would've delayed a touchdown by one play (likely).

Ed Hickland Sun Nov 02, 2008 09:27pm

Having become an "expert" on controversial plays I would call this an incomplete pass.

The referee is moving toward the runner/passer as he is still moving and appears he may have been shielded.

Remember, we are all watching from the comfort of our living room, office, den, etc. with stop motion video.

Got to love the comments "His hand was under the ball, so it was not a shovel pass."

ajmc Mon Nov 03, 2008 09:10am

Unfortunately, the video doesn't provide a wide enough view of the play to make a solid judgment. It does clearly show the QB passed the ball underhanded, rather than fumbled. The pass was almost immediately deflected and it's path changed by the deflection.

Receiver #45 then comes into the picture from the direction the QB appears to have been aiming his underhand toss. There seems to be more than enough evidence to support the judgment that the toss of the ball was deliberate, thus being a forward pass, and that #45 was an eligible (assuming he lined up in an eligible position) receiver, who was the intended target of that pass.

This is a perfect example of the view presented by the camera not being wide enough to understand exactly what was hapening to make a solid conclusion.

OverAndBack Mon Nov 03, 2008 01:53pm

Again, punter.

I wouldn't expect a punter to be as skilled as a quarterback in making a throw of any kind, but, then again, I would also expect a punter to panic more and to be more likely to throw a ball away. But if there's a player in the area, you have an out. But unless I'm screened, if I see that arm movement (especially if the ball goes forward), I've got an incomplete pass.