The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Lightbulb Officiating Podcasts

I just got an iPhone and have been looking at a variety of Podcasts (mainly in the medical field) and have found them to be very helpful; I am wondering if anyone has encountered any podcasts about officiating?

I did a quick search of this forum and found only 1 thread in basketball that had a hit, and it was only one episode about officiating. And I searched on iTunes and found only 3-4 soccer officiating casts (From accross the pond).

What do people think about officiating podcasts (especially Football)? would you listen, do you think this medium would be effective? questions/comments...
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGref View Post
I just got an iPhone and have been looking at a variety of Podcasts (mainly in the medical field) and have found them to be very helpful; I am wondering if anyone has encountered any podcasts about officiating?

I did a quick search of this forum and found only 1 thread in basketball that had a hit, and it was only one episode about officiating. And I searched on iTunes and found only 3-4 soccer officiating casts (From accross the pond).

What do people think about officiating podcasts (especially Football)? would you listen, do you think this medium would be effective? questions/comments...
If anyone were to do this, I suggest working with Referee Magazine or USA Football. They have great resources and existing visibility to get something like this done.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that this would be a terrific method for instruction for officials. I e-mailed Referee about it and never got a response. Years ago they used to sell cassettes from different officials (Jim Tunney, baseball ones, etc...) Even converting these to podcasts would be great or their annual conference on podcasts would be terrific.

I have also searched for any podcasts on officiating and have not come up with any.

NASO/REI it would be a great addition for members!
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I used to do a comedy podcast that was pretty succesfull. For a variety of resons we are no longer doing it. I still have all of the studio equipment and have considered doing a show about officiating. I would only be interested in doing it if I had access to guests from the D-1 and pro ranks.

Anybody know if these guys use a publicist agency for these things?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

FTV - I do not know if any of the top officiating folks have publicists, but you could possibly contact the professional associations to get contacts.

Maybe NASO or even officiating.com would have the contacts to get something going. Possibly the organizations are lacking equipment and expertise.

It definitely is something that would enhance officiating across the country. I work out several times a week and listen to sports podcasts, so I would definitely listen to officiating podcasts.