The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   PSU/OSU Illegal Batting Question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49541-psu-osu-illegal-batting-question.html)

FeetBallRef Sun Oct 26, 2008 01:33am

PSU/OSU Illegal Batting Question

For those folks who saw the PSU/OSU game, the OSU QB had the ball knocked out of his possession behind the line of scrimmage. The loose ball landed on the ground and was almost at rest when a PSU player intentionally batted the ball forward toward OSU's goal line where another PSU player recovered the ball.

Should this have been ruled "Illegal Batting"?

TXMike Sun Oct 26, 2008 06:34am

I will have the video posted later today. Very tough call to make in a scrum like that. Easy to see how covering officials could have ruled player was just reaching for ball and his hand knocked it forward. If the call had been made it would have been supportable by video.

bisonlj Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:49am

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it on video. It was clearly a bat with the back of the players hand and not an attempt to recover it. It's hard to say what view the official had. It appears the R had a clear view. It's also a situation in the heat of the moment and a very tough judgement call.

DesertZebra Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:44am

Definitely a bat, but that would have been real hard to pick up at game speed, I could see the R calling it either way, and being supported in either case.

TXMike Sun Oct 26, 2008 01:09pm

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/v/6lHaJBxBq2k

bossman72 Sun Oct 26, 2008 01:26pm

Looks to me more like he was reaching for the ball moreso than batting it... but that's JMHO

FeetBallRef Sun Oct 26, 2008 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike (Post 545978)

From TXMike's video, the announcers stated the the PSU player knocked it back to keep it away from OSU.

TXMike Sun Oct 26, 2008 03:00pm

If that is what the announcer said then it is safe to assume that is NOT what happened

bigjohn Sun Oct 26, 2008 03:35pm

YouTube - ohio state vs penn state (2008) close game, 13-6

go to the 30 sec mark, psu player whacked the ball.

waltjp Sun Oct 26, 2008 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeetBallRef (Post 545994)
From TXMike's video, the announcers stated the the PSU player knocked it back to keep it away from OSU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TXMike (Post 545995)
If that is what the announcer said then it is safe to assume that is NOT what happened

LOL. Good point, Mike.

refbuz Mon Oct 27, 2008 07:56am

looks like a muffed recovery to me...

jchamp Mon Oct 27, 2008 09:13am

This Buckeye fan really wanted a batting call, but given the way that play developed and all that was going on, I wasn't expecting to see it thrown. I wasn't even sure about it when it first was shown, and we were able to see it on my buddy's 50+" HD screen.
The QB made a bone-headed play, that set the rest of it in motion. As far as I'm concerned, his actions should be more important than making what can be a really picky call.

bigjohn Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:11am

I see refbuz is wearing blue shades!
:cool:

FeetBallRef Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchamp (Post 546176)
This Buckeye fan really wanted a batting call, but given the way that play developed and all that was going on, I wasn't expecting to see it thrown. I wasn't even sure about it when it first was shown, and we were able to see it on my buddy's 50+" HD screen.
The QB made a bone-headed play, that set the rest of it in motion. As far as I'm concerned, his actions should be more important than making what can be a really picky call.

Looking at the players motion on my DVR/HD combination from the replays from ESPN, IMHO, it was definitely a Illegal Bat. The defensive player seeing that he would not have a chance at the ball, intentionally knocked the ball 4-5 yards toward OSU's goal line. This was an advantage gained and clearly against the rules. The fact that the OSU QB had the ball knocked away by a great defensive play by PSU should not be a factor in determining if PSU #46 committed a foul.

YouTube - The Fumble: Penn State Beats Ohio State in Columbus

refbuz Mon Oct 27, 2008 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 546201)
I see refbuz is wearing blue shades!
:cool:

nah, looks to me like the "bat" came as a result of 2 players jumping on his back in an effort to recover the ball.

I think a case could made either way to support a call/no call.