The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Kentucky officials only (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49481-kentucky-officials-only.html)

BktBallRef Wed Oct 22, 2008 07:15pm

Kentucky officials only

Had a question posed to me on another board BY A KENTUCKY COACH regarding linemen BBW from a shotgun formation. How do you guys handle this situation? Legal? Illegal?

I don't need to know what other states do.

I don't need to know what the case book says.

I just need to know what the interpretation is in KENTUCKY.

Thanks!:)

SC Ump Wed Oct 22, 2008 08:45pm

Interesting question for the coach to pose to a "BKTBALLREF" from Eastover, NC. And I didn't want to tell you about SC anyway. :p

BktBallRef Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Ump (Post 544965)
Interesting question for the coach to pose to a "BKTBALLREF" from Eastover, NC. And I didn't want to tell you about SC anyway. :p

I moderate several discussion forums, all across the country.

JamesBond Thu Oct 23, 2008 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 544943)
Had a question posed to me on another board BY A KENTUCKY COACH regarding linemen BBW from a shotgun formation. How do you guys handle this situation? Legal? Illegal?

I don't need to know what other states do.

I don't need to know what the case book says.

I just need to know what the interpretation is in KENTUCKY.

Thanks!:)

Are the rules different in KENTUCKY? The fact of the matter is, even if the shotgun snap is moving at 20 mph (slower than I think it actually is BTW) it takes 0.3069 sec for the ball to leave the zone. That is faster than generally accepted human reaction time (0.400 sec) to light much less sound. The ball is out of the zone in all cases and places. It should not be accepted in KENTUCKY or anywhere else using NFHS rules.

bisonlj Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBond (Post 545054)
Are the rules different in KENTUCKY? The fact of the matter is, even if the shotgun snap is moving at 20 mph (slower than I think it actually is BTW) it takes 0.3069 sec for the ball to leave the zone. That is faster than generally accepted human reaction time (0.400 sec) to light much less sound. The ball is out of the zone in all cases and places. It should not be accepted in KENTUCKY or anywhere else using NFHS rules.

The NFHS rule book and case book disagree with you. Every clinic I've attended has also backed up this interpretation. If the block in shotgun formation is immediate, it is legal. If it is delayed at all, it is illegal.

If a state choses to have a tighter interpretation, that is up to them.

If you chose to have a tighter interpretation, I suggest you let the first one go and talk to the teams letting them know your interpretation and then flag it after that.

mbyron Thu Oct 23, 2008 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesBond (Post 545054)
That is faster than generally accepted human reaction time (0.400 sec) to light much less sound.

I think the figure you're looking for is 0.04 seconds. An awful lot can happen in four tenths!

Mike L Thu Oct 23, 2008 02:03pm

The Human Benchmark site, that uses a test requiring you to click your mouse when the red box turns green, has established an average reaction time of .215 seconds. I would submit the ability of a linemen to react to the start of a snap might be somewhat slower due to simple body mechanics of getting the entire mass moving over twitching one finger.
But what Kentucky does, who the heck knows?

Kentucky Basketball Tue Nov 04, 2008 03:58pm

as long as low block is immediate it is ok in ky

sloth Tue Nov 04, 2008 08:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 545077)
The NFHS rule book and case book disagree with you. Every clinic I've attended has also backed up this interpretation. If the block in shotgun formation is immediate, it is legal. If it is delayed at all, it is illegal.

If a state choses to have a tighter interpretation, that is up to them.

If you chose to have a tighter interpretation, I suggest you let the first one go and talk to the teams letting them know your interpretation and then flag it after that.

I'll back up my fellow Hoosier official. The standing interperation is that as long as the block in question is not delayed, the ball is considered to be in the zone.