The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Snap Infraction (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49422-snap-infraction.html)

TViglione Sun Oct 19, 2008 09:23pm

Snap Infraction

During a High School Football game the opposing teams center snapped the ball earlier than anticipated by his teammates because he was the only player to move on the snap. The ball touched the QB's hands and then fell to the ground. The ball was recovered by a defensive lineman. In my book, that is considered a fumble and the ball should have gone to the defense, however, the ref called a five yard penalty due to a "snap infraction" and the offense maintained the ball. Which is the correct call?

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 20, 2008 04:44am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by TViglione (Post 544023)
During a High School Football game the opposing teams center snapped the ball earlier than anticipated by his teammates because he was the only player to move on the snap. The ball touched the QB's hands and then fell to the ground. The ball was recovered by a defensive lineman. In my book, that is considered a fumble and the ball should have gone to the defense, however, the ref called a five yard penalty due to a "snap infraction" and the offense maintained the ball. Which is the correct call?

CANADIAN RULING:

Assuming that the Ready For Play whistle had in fact been blown in, it is a fumble and first down for the team currently on defense - team B.

waltjp Mon Oct 20, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Nothing you have said would lead me to believe this was an illegal snap.

Forksref Mon Oct 20, 2008 07:32am

The only infraction was that B got the short end of the stick. No foul here. Just a snapper who didn't know the count and B suffers.

FTVMartin Mon Oct 20, 2008 08:19am

There was nothing illegal about the snap. It was just early. That's a fumble.

Ed Hickland Mon Oct 20, 2008 08:37am

NFHS 2-39 SNAP

Art. 1...A snap is the legal act of passing or handing the ball backwards from its position on the ground.
Art. 2...The snap begins when the snapper first moves the ball legally other than adjustment. In a snap, the movement must be quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it touches an A lineman.
Art. 3...The snap ends when the ball touches the ground or any player.

Where was this not a snap?

It is possible it was ruled a snap infraction if the snapper did not make a continuous movement. You had to be there!

wwcfoa43 Mon Oct 20, 2008 09:08am

Perhaps the official was thinking NFL rules. Prior to the 2008 season in the NFL, a snap that hit the ground prior to touching the QB was a 5 yard illegal procedure penalty. Of course, even this does not match the OP because the poster said the QB touched it which would have been a fumble even in the NFL pre-2008.

mikesears Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:51am

Quote:

Not having the benefit of seeing the play, I have a couple of questions.
Did the snapper double pump? Did the snapper let go of the ball immediately? Was there something else that could have caused the ball to remain dead? A snap must meet several requirements to be legal and if it doesn't, the ball remains dead.

LeRoy Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:53pm

Fumble --- B's Ball

LDUB Mon Oct 20, 2008 04:37pm

Quote:

The ball touched the QB's hands and then fell to the ground. The ball was recovered by a defensive lineman. In my book, that is considered a fumble

In the rule book, that is considered a muff :D