The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS KO end zone (offshoot of OOB) (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49408-nfhs-ko-end-zone-offshoot-oob.html)

voiceoflg Sat Oct 18, 2008 02:08pm

NFHS KO end zone (offshoot of OOB)

Radio play-by-play guy here. We had a similar situation to the previously discussed KO OOB. R1 receives the kickoff near the end zone. He steps his back foot into the end zone as he catches it but his body and the ball was in the field of play. He ran it back 99 yards for the touchdown. The official ruled since the ball didn't break the plane of the goal line, the TD stands. I said on air that the official was correct, though admittedly I was not sure of the rule. Since my dad officiated 30+ years, my on-air rule is when in doubt, agree with the call or admit I'm not sure.

The reason I question it is we had one identical last year where the receiver caught the ball with one foot on the goal line and it was ruled a touchback. It was the opening kick of the second half in a 49-0 game (my team winning) so I didn't bother questioning if that was the correct call. What is correct?

Rob S Sat Oct 18, 2008 02:17pm

As soon as the ball breaks the plane its a touch back. The position of the player has absolutely no impact (unless of course he's out of bounds). Since the Whitehat is on the goal line, he's in perfect position to rule one way or the other. I imagine the play last year broke the plane of the endzone.

w_sohl Sun Oct 19, 2008 01:17pm

Careful...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob S (Post 543879)
As soon as the ball breaks the plane its a touch back. The position of the player has absolutely no impact (unless of course he's out of bounds). Since the Whitehat is on the goal line, he's in perfect position to rule one way or the other. I imagine the play last year broke the plane of the endzone.

Not true, if the player takes the ball into the end zone on his own accord it is not a touch back and he better get out or risk a safety. Also, if his momentum carries him into the end zone it also not a touch back but he is protected from a safety at the spot where he possesed the ball.

Rob S Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 543985)
Not true, if the player takes the ball into the end zone on his own accord it is not a touch back and he better get out or risk a safety. Also, if his momentum carries him into the end zone it also not a touch back but he is protected from a safety at the spot where he possesed the ball.

You are correct, I left out a couple important words. For a ball not possessed by a player, what I said is true. You've got it for the situations it is. Thanks for the correction.

rngrck Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:49am

Agree with remarks, however I wouldn't even consider momentum here in this case unless R is facing end zone while trying to field kickoff.

w_sohl Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rngrck (Post 544125)
Agree with remarks, however I wouldn't even consider momentum here in this case unless R is facing end zone while trying to field kickoff.

True, but it is still something that has to be looked at.