The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

If I were Ed, I'd get a new email account.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

I feel the same way Rut, other than to say the 5-yard FM should be reinstated at some point. if you don't want the foul, don't put your had near the head/mask area.

I got to hand to Mr H., but if I were in his position, I would never have answered emails regarding "my" game calls and refer every other email about a game to the NFL supervisor. Then I'd change my address.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
Those fan boards show how absolutely stupid some people are.
Indeed. Lets not forget these are fans who live in a huge country (3,794,066 sq miles) yet dumb enough to choose to live in the few square miles that are 10 feet below sea level.

To get serious for a moment, it was likely Ed's Line Judge who missed that F/M call. According to the NFL crew lists in the October issue of Referee magazine, he is an NFL rookie. How do you suppose he feels? Not the quiet easy 1st NFL season he was hoping for, I suspect. With the angle he was looking at the play he may never have seen it, but the TV camera sees it perfectly from their angle and the officials get crucified.
Old Wed Oct 08, 2008, 10:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Indeed. Lets not forget these are fans who live in a huge country (3,794,066 sq miles) yet dumb enough to choose to live in the few square miles that are 10 feet below sea level.

To get serious for a moment, it was likely Ed's Line Judge who missed that F/M call. According to the NFL crew lists in the October issue of Referee magazine, he is an NFL rookie. How do you suppose he feels? Not the quiet easy 1st NFL season he was hoping for, I suspect. With the angle he was looking at the play he may never have seen it, but the TV camera sees it perfectly from their angle and the officials get crucified.
It is more than the Line Judge. A deep wing could have seen that. An umpire under the right situation could see this. I could even see the Back Judge getting this under the right circumstances. And one again, the rule in place allows for a facemask to be grabbed and not called if the official did not deem it intentional. I still think that part might have been a factor in the rule. The average public does not know that and this is why you get the comments you see that Ed was dealing with. Even Ed was blamed the previous week for a missed call on a roughing the passer call which helmet to helmet contact was a factor. I believe the player was fined by the NFL, but the media made it seem like it was a call that was not there. The media cannot even get things right in the election, I guess asking them to go through the facts in a game is a little much.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theisey View Post
I feel the same way Rut, other than to say the 5-yard FM should be reinstated at some point.
I'd like to see a 5-yard USC penalty. You know, for the stupid sh!te that doesn't warrant the 15-yard variety, but that is so dumb, annoying, or otherwise "not football" that it deserves a flag.
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 11:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I'd like to see a 5-yard USC penalty. You know, for the stupid sh!te that doesn't warrant the 15-yard variety, but that is so dumb, annoying, or otherwise "not football" that it deserves a flag.
Maybe something like a delay of game for incomprehensible stupidity?
Old Thu Oct 09, 2008, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure when they tape the Official Review segment but no play from this game was included. I'm not sure if they were trying to avoid it or the calls just weren't as much of an issue as the Saints fans thought.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Official Review has been kinda lame lately.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 07:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
Not sure when they tape the Official Review segment but no play from this game was included. I'm not sure if they were trying to avoid it or the calls just weren't as much of an issue as the Saints fans thought.

What was there to review from the Minn/NO game? Was Pareira supposed to show a clip of the play and say "slow motion replay reveals that the crew missed a face mask penalty"?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What was there to review from the Minn/NO game? Was Pareira supposed to show a clip of the play and say "slow motion replay reveals that the crew missed a face mask penalty"?
If you read the link above, Saints fans think there were several plays that could have been discussed. I was actually hoping to hear an explanation on the face mask. Did the official see the face mask and pass because it was incidental? Did Pareira agree with that judgement? Did nobody see the face mask? They talked about another face mask issue in another game and explained that putting your hand on a face mask but not grasping or twisting is not a foul. This play could have had a similar discussion. Last week he made a comment that people need to get over the Hochuli call from a couple weeks ago so he may be trying to avoid discussing Hochuli calls to let it die.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 09:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
If you read the link above, Saints fans think there were several plays that could have been discussed...
If Pareira based the content of his segment on plays discussed in hometown links then he would have his own show that lasted 4 hours.

As I noted already, the Philly game had 2 facemask penalties that were missed. No one made a peep about those, not even the announcers except for the initial replays, then they moved on.

What makes this call in this game so special or different? The only thing I can think of is that it was Hochuli's crew. At regular speed when I initially saw the play it didn't look like a "grab and twist", it looked incidental.