The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   chest bump (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49248-chest-bump.html)

PSU213 Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:21am

chest bump

In Pennsylvania, it was ruled by the state that 2 players jumping and bumping chests is USC. Here in Missouri the state has said that since it is not a player drawing attention to himself, it does not qualify as USC unless proloned, done multiple times, etc. I can't really say that I have a strong opinion on this, but I tend to think that that only one of these between 2 players is not enough to make this an unsportsmanlike foul. Just interested in everyone else's thoughts.

trocared Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28am

This seems to me a "celebrating with teammates" moment akin to high fives. No USC, imo.
cheers,
tro

ajmc Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:07pm

There is always a problem when specific lines are drawn and there are always people willing to try and force lines to be drawn. The rules makers want to prevent excessive celebration on the football field, the issue then becomes what is considered "excessive".

There's always someone willing to push the envelope, just for the pure fun involved in doing the pushing. I had the opportunity to run the game clock at a college game this weekend and noticed a number of players wearing those silly little Nike bicep bands around their calves. They don't make any sense around the arms and what they do for the calves is anybody's guess. I presume this is the latest fad, or at least the latest fad I've been exposed to.

If the State of Pennsylvania, or any State regulatory body wants to declare something specific illegal, they have the right to do just that in their own State. That just seems like one less issue there will be confusion about in Pennsylvania and I'll wager there will still be H.S. football played next weekend.

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:10pm

Two players chest bumping is USC? Who runs football in PA, the No Fun League?

Maybe PA wants them to shake hands. No wait, that is MA. :cool:

wwcfoa43 Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55pm

What will we have next? Will players be required to send a written memo congratulating their teammates on a nice play...

BktBallRef Mon Oct 06, 2008 01:38pm

In NC, chest bumping is not illegal. However, the kids need to continue toward their huddle or bench. it can't become a prolonged act.

Since we started ejecting players for taunting for things like running down the field with their finger in the air, high stepping, and diving into the end zone, we have very little problem with unsporting conduct.

trocared Mon Oct 06, 2008 02:03pm

written????

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 (Post 541448)
What will we have next? Will players be required to send a written memo congratulating their teammates on a nice play...

written??? no way, most likely texting...:D
cheers,
tro

Bob M. Mon Oct 06, 2008 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwcfoa43 (Post 541448)

REPLY: But if they drop the note after reading it it will be called "Illegal Littering - 5 yds and loss of pen"

Mike L Mon Oct 06, 2008 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M. (Post 541494)
REPLY: But if they drop the note after reading it it will be called "Illegal Littering - 5 yds and loss of pen"

use of yellow pads will also be strictly forbidden.

daggo66 Tue Oct 07, 2008 07:27am

I think the officials should chest bump as throwing a flag!:D

hawkishowl20 Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggo66 (Post 541615)
I think the officials should chest bump as throwing a flag!:D

The signal for a chest bump should be a chest bump.

Murd Thu Oct 09, 2008 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkishowl20 (Post 542118)
The signal for a chest bump should be a chest bump.

can you imagine if brittany spears and lindsay lohan chest bumped?

MJT Sat Oct 11, 2008 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murd (Post 542329)
can you imagine if brittany spears and lindsay lohan chest bumped?

No, but I'd sure like to see it. :D

LeRoy Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:09pm

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSU213 (Post 541428)
In Pennsylvania, it was ruled by the state that 2 players jumping and bumping chests is USC. Here in Missouri the state has said that since it is not a player drawing attention to himself, it does not qualify as USC unless proloned, done multiple times, etc. I can't really say that I have a strong opinion on this, but I tend to think that that only one of these between 2 players is not enough to make this an unsportsmanlike foul. Just interested in everyone else's thoughts.

Pennsylvania needs to remember that these are 16 to 18 year old kids let them have a LITTLE fun. I can not see bumping chest a USC. I hope that this does not come up in a title game in Pennsylvania. :mad::mad:

Rich Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:26pm

I was working a freshman game yesterday that was a bit, umm, one-sided. Kid gets the team's first first down, down about 44 points, and he does a little dance.

Home sidelines is screaming for a foul. I'm laughing and telling the kid to knock it off.

A chest bump? Sure it happens every week we work, but I don't notice, I guess.