The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Official are only people (https://forum.officiating.com/football/49230-official-only-people.html)

skipwkk Sat Oct 04, 2008 07:27pm

Official are only people

Cal Arizona football game. in the 4th quarter a penalty as called on a Cal player for jumping attempting to block block a field goal.
Why don't the officials and or the people announcing the game know the rules. The player can run and jump as long as he does not land on another player. Possibly the announcers knew the rules and are not allowed to tell it how it is.

waltjp Sat Oct 04, 2008 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipwkk (Post 541161)
Cal Arizona football game. in the 4th quarter a penalty as called on a Cal player for jumping attempting to block block a field goal.
Why don't the officials and or the people announcing the game know the rules. The player can run and jump as long as he does not land on another player. Possibly the announcers knew the rules and are not allowed to tell it how it is.

Didn't see the play but I think I'll side with the officials on this one. :rolleyes:

JasonTX Sat Oct 04, 2008 09:46pm

Announcers are generally just trying to creat controversy to try and draw in an audience. Unfortunately most fans believe everything they say. Never believe a word you hear that comes from the announcers. Chances are they will be feeding you bogus information.

SethPDX Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipwkk (Post 541161)

Actually the announcers "know" the rules very well. They need to be able to explain them to the fans at home. ;)

I didn't see it but I know the fanboys in my area will say it's just typical Pac-10 officiating. :rolleyes: I'm going to guess they got it right, though.

OverAndBack Mon Oct 06, 2008 08:42am

As an announcer and an official, I can tell you that announcers, by and large, don't know the rules. I didn't know them nearly as well as I do now, having been on this side of it.

But, no, there's not some grand conspiracy that doesn't "allow" the announcers to "tell it like it is." Nor is it any more true that you should "never believe a word" an announcer says than it is that "all officials are blind/on the take."

There are good ones and not-so-good ones in both professions (in all professions, really).

mbyron Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAndBack (Post 541371)
There are good ones and not-so-good ones in both professions (in all professions, really).

Oh, come on! That's not easy: you're saying that people have to live their lives with discernment, judgment, insight, and hard work. How else could they distinguish the good ones from the others in all those professions?

You'll never get elected to high office. :rolleyes:

OverAndBack Mon Oct 06, 2008 01:50pm

We can only hope.