The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 02:13pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Football socks

OK, gang:

Best tips on making white parts of football socks as white as possible while not ruining the black parts?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
OK, gang:

Best tips on making white parts of football socks as white as possible while not ruining the black parts?
Only work games on turf!
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
OK, gang:

oxy-clean seems to do ok with mine. Just waiting for the day they bring back those stirrips.
cheers,
tro
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

They pay us so well here in Michigan I never have to wear the same pair twice.......
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 09:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by trocared View Post
oxy-clean seems to do ok with mine. Just waiting for the day they bring back those stirrips.
cheers,
tro
We wear the stirrups up here in Canada. There was talk about a product being developed that is the one-piece stirrup.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Still wearing my stirrups here in the UK.

The downside is getting stick from the other guys about being a dinosaur. I don't care, I've had them for over 20 years, they still look as good as the day I bought them and no sign of them wearing out yet

My feet are comfortable in my choice of white tube socks - thin ones in summer, thick ones in winter.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 01:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just found something that does a great job of getting stains out. The product is called Soilove and retails in CA for about a $1 a bottle. I pretreat stains on my knickers and my socks with it and let them soak for about 15 minutes, I then wash them with detergent and Oxyclean. They come out spotless and it doesn't harm colors.

It looks like you might not be able to find it in Wisconsin but you can order a case of it online. I highly recommend it.

Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have a problem with the black fading on the socks when the water temperature is set at 140 degrees. It leaves a kind of gray stripe onthe upper part of the sock.

The best I have found for washing the socks is 105 degrees with OxyClean.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just found something that does a great job of getting stains out. The product is called Soilove and retails in CA for about a $1 a bottle. I pretreat stains on my knickers and my socks with it and let them soak for about 15 minutes, I then wash them with detergent and Oxyclean. They come out spotless and it doesn't harm colors.

It looks like you might not be able to find it in Wisconsin but you can order a case of it online. I highly recommend it.

This is a great product for stain removal. I started ordering it direct when my oldest was about a year old and started making all kinds of messes with all kinds of sources.

It does work great on whites.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:44am
Archaic Power Monger

Ed-

I just wash everything on cold.

MNBlue-

Works for kids, too. Good to know for the future!
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like that product might be worth trying on knickers.

But as far as socks go, I don't try that hard. A normal wash usually does the trick. And I just replace them as necessary if they start to get a bit dingy. I only go through 1 or 2 pair a year.

I ususally find that the white stripes get dingy quicker than the lower portion.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Looks like that product might be worth trying on knickers.

But as far as socks go, I don't try that hard. A normal wash usually does the trick. And I just replace them as necessary if they start to get a bit dingy. I only go through 1 or 2 pair a year.

I ususally find that the white stripes get dingy quicker than the lower portion.
The polyester hose just won't let go that dirt. We need to ban that special athletic field dirt. That's the problem!
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

oxyclean

I had a game one night that was so muddy I considered throwing my uniform in the trash. My socks were solid brown. Knickers a complete mess.

I doused them in spray-on OxyClean and put them in a cold wash as soon as I got home. Once the washer filled I let it churn a couple of minutes then turned it off so everything could soak overnight. The next morning I let the cycle finish, then washed them in hot (not sure the temp) with lots of detergent and more OxyClean. I could not believe how white they were.

And unlike bleach, I haven't had OxyClean fade the black parts.