The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   lineman down field question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/48577-lineman-down-field-question.html)

Rock Chalk Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:28am

lineman down field question

New head linesman here.

Not a question on the rule, but just looking for some advice from some vets as to how to cover it the best. I am having difficulty as to how to call this. I am getting down field to cover my area on a pass and finding it hard to determine if a lineman is down field on a ball thrown past the los.

Any words of advice?

trocared Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock Chalk
New head linesman here.

Not a question on the rule, but just looking for some advice from some vets as to how to cover it the best. I am having difficulty as to how to call this. I am getting down field to cover my area on a pass and finding it hard to determine if a lineman is down field on a ball thrown past the los.

Any words of advice?

Generally, that would be the U area of expertise. The only time I have called illegal man downfield is when a TE is covered and goes out for a pass. Leave the interior lineman to the U.
cheers,
tro

waltjp Wed Sep 10, 2008 04:23pm

The big, ugly guys, with mud in their faces are my responsibility. Go fish in your own pond. :mad:

brettdj Thu Sep 11, 2008 07:09am

The only way I am calling it as a HL is if I have a receiver covered and he goes downfield, or I have a receiver downfield catching the ball and a 55 next to him.

waltjp Thu Sep 11, 2008 07:44am

Exactly, Brett. My old R and I (when I was a U) used to disagree over this topic. He insisted that our wings needed to use all kinds of signals to indicate who was on and off the line because "Walt and I need to know that."

My argument was this - once the snapper is in position over the ball and especially after the rest of the line is in place I can't divert my attention from the ball to look at the wings to see who is and isn't on the LOS. For one, they're not my responsibility. Two, they could shift after I turn away from them. Three, there may be some sort of false start or snap infraction while I'm looking away.

I'll check to see if I have 5 lineman numbers and when I find then I'll make sure they don't go down field on a pass that crosses the LOS. If you have an eligible number that's covered then you make the call.

jeepinchad Thu Sep 11, 2008 07:51am

That's the way we do it, also, Walt. I'm the U on our crew, and I dont' have the luxury of being able to look out and see who is and isn't punched off at the snap.

Rock... from the HL position, make sure your first inside ineligible isn't downfield when the ball is actually thrown across the LOS, and let the U handle the interior guys.

With_Two_Flakes Thu Sep 11, 2008 08:05am

Ditto here in the UK. Our mechanics have U handle the 5 interiors and wings handle anyone covered........for the reasons stated above.

Ed Hickland Thu Sep 11, 2008 08:32am

The U should position on the LOS after the snap and in the ideal spot to see linemen downfield.

As a wing unless you see a 50 to 79 fifteen yards downfield don't concern yourself.

HLin NC Thu Sep 11, 2008 03:00pm

Agree with these guys, you'll know if #66 is too far downfield for you to throw the flag on him. The main concern for yourself with #88 covered up by his wideout.

JRutledge Thu Sep 11, 2008 03:43pm

In my state this is a collective effort. Both wings can call this and even the Referee can call this with some help. The Umpire is the person we look to, but our wings might be on the line and if they see it, they can call it.

Peace

Patton Thu Sep 11, 2008 03:43pm

Like everyone else has said, except for one addition.

You should also read the tackle on your side for run or pass. If he fires out and continues downfield, regardless of what the other lineman do, you can hold your position on the line, because you've read run. If they do pass the ball beyond the LOS, you'll have a flag.

Forksref Thu Sep 11, 2008 07:36pm

Leave it to the "Snickers" guys.

trocared Thu Sep 11, 2008 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
In my state this is a collective effort. Both wings can call this and even the Referee can call this with some help. The Umpire is the person we look to, but our wings might be on the line and if they see it, they can call it.

Peace

Just wondering...do you work w/ 6man crews?
cheers,
tro

JRutledge Thu Sep 11, 2008 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by trocared
Just wondering...do you work w/ 6man crews?
cheers,
tro

No.

Peace