The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NF- Pass interference penalty spot?? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/48305-nf-pass-interference-penalty-spot.html)

kfo9494 Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:03pm

NF- Pass interference penalty spot??

After a penalty for PI that is caught, not caught or during a TD where is the spot of enforcement?-

High school please!

BktBallRef Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494
After a penalty for PI that is caught, not caught or during a TD where is the spot of enforcement?-

High school please!

Pass interference is a foul during a loose ball play. It's always previous spot enforcement, unless it occurs during a TD scoring play. Then, the enforcement option is either succeeding spot or on the subsequent KO.

If the ball is caught on a non-scoring play, it's either take the foul or take the play. Never both.

JugglingReferee Sun Sep 07, 2008 01:28pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by kfo9494
After a penalty for PI that is caught, not caught or during a TD where is the spot of enforcement?

CANADIAN RULING:
  • Offensive
    • OPI is 15 yards from the PLS (previous spot), DR (down repeated)
    • OPI is not restricted to half-the-distance
    • Clock on the ready if before the 3-minute warning, on the snap if after the 3-minute warning
  • Defensive
    • If the Spot of Foul is > 15 yards from PLS, DPI is 15 yards from the PLS (previous spot), AFD
    • If the Spot of Foul is < 15 yards from PLS, but beyond PLS, it is a spot foul, AFD
    • If the Spot of Foul is behind the PLS, it is AFD at PLS
    • DPI is not restricted to half-the-distance
    • Clock on the ready if before the 3-minute warning, on the snap if after the 3-minute warning
    • Not enforced if caught for a TD
      • Doesn't get applied on convert or succeeding KO
    • Option to accept if dead ball spot is not and a 1D, and is behind succeeding spot after the penalty application

Robert Goodman Sun Sep 07, 2008 07:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
[*]OPI is 15 yards from the PLS (previous spot), DR (down repeated)[*]OPI is not restricted to half-the-distance[*]DPI is not restricted to half-the-distance

So...a touchdown or safety touch is awarded if inside the offending team's 15?

JugglingReferee Sun Sep 07, 2008 08:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman

Yup! What's wrong with that? :D

HAHA seriously now... the closest we scrimmage from is the 1 yard line - of either Team A or Team B. We would stop at the 1 yard line, then.

Interesting 411: If the LS is the Team B 1 yard line, and B fouls, it is AFD at the 1 again. If the LS is the Team A 1 yard line, and A fouls, it is a LD, except for 3D in which it's just a repeat of the down. So in that case, there's really no penalty.

trocared Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman

why can't canada man up and stop attempting to make a whole other game? :)
tro

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by trocared
why can't canada man up and stop attempting to make a whole other game? :)
tro

I would contend that the US rules are more varied from the original football rules. So, in essense, you have attempted to make a whole other game. ;)

Canada's game, I think, is easier to officiate and permits more exciting play due to more room for passing and running.

mbyron Tue Sep 09, 2008 01:10pm

Quote:

Canada's game, I think, is easier to officiate and permits more exciting play due to more room for passing and running.

I thought curling was Canada's game. :confused:

Forksref Tue Sep 09, 2008 08:27pm

Quote:

I would contend that the US rules are more varied from the original football rules. So, in essense, you have attempted to make a whole other game. ;)

So, I guess 110 yd field, 250 yd EZ, 12 players on the field, the entire student body legally in motion, the Rouge and holding spots on CFL teams for Canadian only players because they can't compete evenly with US players for roster spots is not "a whole other game?" :)

Forksref Tue Sep 09, 2008 08:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
I thought curling was Canada's game. :confused:

I believe that Lacrosse is the official game. (this is not a joke)

Robert Goodman Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref
So, I guess 110 yd field, 250 yd EZ, 12 players on the field, the entire student body legally in motion, the Rouge and holding spots on CFL teams for Canadian only players because they can't compete evenly with US players for roster spots is not "a whole other game?" :)

Yes, but it wasn't "made". They never got around to shortening the field to 100 yds., limiting motion to 1 player, or adding a 4th down, and didn't reduce the number of players quite as much as in American football.

Robert