The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Euclidean geometry....
Can't wait till I get that sort of situation in my next game, so I can explain to a Captain or Coach that I am giving the O a 1st Down because of Euclidean geometry.....

But seriously, when I work the chains, I make sure my WH doesn't do a measure in that sort of situation by reminding him we started on (eg) the 20.

I also have a problem with HL's who allow the chain crew to be lazy and set up 6 feet back rather than set up on the sideline for accuracy, then move back for safety. If I'm assessing, that's a surefire ding on the HL.....
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
In college it is only illegal batting if the bat is forward, so they would have been correct if the bat was backwards.
Thanks...that (was the bat legal under NCAA rules) was actually part of the reason I posted, but I was not clear about that. It was certainly not meant of a criticism of the officials.
Old Thu Sep 04, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
Ohio at Wyoming.... Wyoming kicks off into the endzone touchback. Ball on the 20 skip ahead to 3rd down, 3rd down ends with the ball touching the 30 yd line. Wyoming asks for and is granted a measurement, and it is a couple links short....4th down.....it turned out to not be a big deal, as Ohio went for it and made it....it does illustrate some common sense...if we start on the 20 and the ball ends up touching the 30 it is a first down...DO NOT MEASURE...my guess is the chains weren't moved up to the field to be clipped, but rather clipped from 2yds back and thus were off a couple links...
As R, I see the ball touching the 30 and we have a first down, no measurement. As mentioned above, common sense! Also, U's use the field markings not your stride in marching off penalties. I had a U once on a 1/10 mark off two consecutive encroachments on the D and he still was short of the LTG!
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:45am
Official Forum Member

All lines *MIGHT* be straight, but 2 weeks ago I had a straight line going from the 30 on the guest sideline to the 35 on the home sideline... Fun!
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
Ohio at Wyoming.... Wyoming kicks off into the endzone touchback. Ball on the 20 skip ahead to 3rd down, 3rd down ends with the ball touching the 30 yd line. Wyoming asks for and is granted a measurement, and it is a couple links short....4th down.....it turned out to not be a big deal, as Ohio went for it and made it....it does illustrate some common sense...if we start on the 20 and the ball ends up touching the 30 it is a first down...DO NOT MEASURE.
Exactly! What makes anyone think the line the chain was put on was any straighter than the one the ball reached?
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 10:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

The whole system we use is only accurate if all lines we use do not elbow anywhere, and they are all parallel or perpendicular where required.

In addition, when measuring, the links have to parallel to the sideline.

That's why I'm thinking about developing a system to remove the need for the chain crew to come out: have 4 transceivers at the back corners of the EZ. The U has a clicker (something like a baseball counter) and when a measurement is needed, simply places the clicker at the front of the ball, and the 4 transceivers quadangulate the position of the ball and tell you if it's a 1D or not. Accuracy is 100% guaranteed.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
The line provides the shortest connection between the points.
Exception - Wormhole

Pronunciation: \ˈwərm-ˌhōl\

Function: noun

Date: 1593

1 : a hole or passage burrowed by a worm

2 : a hypothetical structure of space-time envisioned as a long thin tunnel connecting points that are separated in space and time
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
Exception - Wormhole

Pronunciation: \ˈwərm-ˌhōl\

Function: noun

Date: 1593

1 : a hole or passage burrowed by a worm

2 : a hypothetical structure of space-time envisioned as a long thin tunnel connecting points that are separated in space and time
Note: the second definition probably does NOT date from 1593.

Also, I think JR explicitly referred to Euclidean space, where his claim is correct and is exceptionless. Whatever space-time is, it's almost certainly not Euclidean.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 12:03pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Note: the second definition probably does NOT date from 1593.

Also, I think JR explicitly referred to Euclidean space, where his claim is correct and is exceptionless. Whatever space-time is, it's almost certainly not Euclidean.
Who can bend space time? Hiro Nakamura.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who can bend space time? Hiro Nakamura.
See the baseball forum, search for rising fastball...
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 03:52pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
See the baseball forum, search for rising fastball...
Now you've done it...
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Aren't lines, by definition, straight?

A line can be described as an ideal zero-width, infinitely long, perfectly straight curve (the term curve in mathematics includes "straight curves") containing an infinite number of points. In Euclidean geometry, exactly one line can be found that passes through any two points. The line provides the shortest connection between the points.
There has been way too much freaking math on this forum today.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Don't blame the U. It's those dang TV people's fault. They need to learn how to get that green stripe on the field, not just on the tube.
I'm gonna tell you what...it may sound crazy, but I'll bet they figure out a way to do it in the next 10-15 years.

The question is, would you want it? Would it make your job easier or play with your mind?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Sep 08, 2008, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
There has been way too much freaking math on this forum today.
By "too much," do you mean twice as much as there should be? 3.5 times as much?