The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Where is the ball place? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/48017-where-ball-place.html)

surehands Tue Sep 02, 2008 03:57pm

Where is the ball place?

B27 intercepts a ball in his own end zone. While attemping to run the ball out, he is hit from behind and fumbles while still in the end zone. Theball is fumbled forward and rools out of bounds at the B 2 yard line.
What is the correct call?

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 02, 2008 05:35pm

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by surehands
B27 intercepts a ball in his own end zone. While attemping to run the ball out, he is hit from behind and fumbles while still in the end zone. Theball is fumbled forward and rools out of bounds at the B 2 yard line.

CANADIAN RULING:

Go back to point of fumble. This is our version of a touchback, but we don't have a name for it. Team B 1D/10 @ B-20.

BktBallRef Tue Sep 02, 2008 09:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by surehands

1st and 10 from the 2.

What do you think the correct call is?

Theisey Tue Sep 02, 2008 09:55pm

good grief.. for a moment I was waiting for the "and there was a foul against B27 causing him to fumble".

Forksref Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theisey
good grief.. for a moment I was waiting for the "and there was a foul against B27 causing him to fumble".

I was waiting for a tinted visor to appear during an A-11 formation and the kid had a note from his doctor.

surehands Wed Sep 03, 2008 07:09am

If a new officail can't go to your web site and ask a question and be made fun of , why have the site??????

svm1010 Wed Sep 03, 2008 08:02am

SH,

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, and new officials can often spark very interesting discussion about the details of a play that veterans may have filtered out over the years. So, ask away. As a suggestion, perhaps post what you think might be the possible ruling like you did on your post regarding the Holding call during a pass. That way you can test your own judgement on how the play would be ruled as well as get feedback on alternate viewpoints on how to officiate the play.

Welcome aboard!

waltjp Wed Sep 03, 2008 08:33am

Surehands,

Many of the regular participants here also read other forums. Like me, I suspect they've seen your posts on multiple boards. The answers aren't going to change between here and there.

Theisey Wed Sep 03, 2008 08:55am

We're not making fun of you. It just that, the particular play I illuded too was beaten to death in prior years and this year until we were blue in the face every time it popped up. There was actually a rule change to make the enforement easiuer to understand not to mention fairer.

Question for you.. I know you are into the rules, but are you reading the case book plays? They will provide answers for many of the questions are are asking.
Also, have you heard of the NF study guide for HS football.. It's a great resource. Get it.

JugglingReferee Wed Sep 03, 2008 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
CANADIAN RULING:

Go back to point of fumble. This is our version of a touchback, but we don't have a name for it. Team B 1D/10 @ B-20.

Something about my ruling doesn't sit with me properly. I will report back again in a day. My thought is that the ruling might be the B-2 for the succeeding spot.

Mike L Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28am

For the wisenheimers out there, why didn't you ask if it was NFHS or NCAA, because the answer is different.