The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Question "Give Him the Business"

I have this interesting or you may say "boring" question...

"We have a personal foul on No. 99 of the defense. After he tackled the quarterback he's GIVING HIM THE BUSINESS down there, that's a 15-yard penalty." That's a famous quote from Ben Dreith.

I was wondering if GIVE HIM THE BUSINESS is really a penalty in American football as we CALL it. Or was it just 1stly called by Ben. I searched online for this, some people say in the rulebook and some say it's just to emphasize the foul...
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Wow
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis
I have this interesting or you may say "boring" question...

"We have a personal foul on No. 99 of the defense. After he tackled the quarterback he's GIVING HIM THE BUSINESS down there, that's a 15-yard penalty." That's a famous quote from Ben Dreith.

I was wondering if GIVE HIM THE BUSINESS is really a penalty in American football as we CALL it. Or was it just 1stly called by Ben. I searched online for this, some people say in the rulebook and some say it's just to emphasize the foul...
It simply means that he was taunting or trash talking the player he tackled. It's unsporting and is a foul.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Aug 03, 2008 at 04:06pm.
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ben Drieth was a jr. high phys ed teacher. Supposedly, "give(ing) ____ the business" (me, him, etc.) was a trademark expression of his. He was also a bit of a maverick and on this one play, he was probably a bit charged up and this just came out.

According to Markbriet (sp??) in his book, Drieth wasn't criticized by the league because it was an accurate description. I just think they didn't want their R's to clown around while the mic was on, but I don't think they had to worry about that with Ben.
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
I just think they didn't want their R's to clown around while the mic was on, but I don't think they had to worry about that with Ben.
I remember a Notre Dame/USC game a few years ago when the ref announced on the mic, "Illegal block on the return team is what all four of the flags are for. Ten yards from the spot of the foul. First down."

Personally, I thought that was pretty funny, and I hope he wasn't criticized for that.
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 09:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan10
I remember a Notre Dame/USC game a few years ago when the ref announced on the mic, "Illegal block on the return team is what all four of the flags are for. Ten yards from the spot of the foul. First down."

Personally, I thought that was pretty funny, and I hope he wasn't criticized for that.
That is VERY FUNNY!
Old Sun Aug 03, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Ben Drieth was a jr. high phys ed teacher. Supposedly, "give(ing) ____ the business" (me, him, etc.) was a trademark expression of his. He was also a bit of a maverick and on this one play, he was probably a bit charged up and this just came out.

According to Markbriet (sp??) in his book, Drieth wasn't criticized by the league because it was an accurate description. I just think they didn't want their R's to clown around while the mic was on, but I don't think they had to worry about that with Ben.
In his excitement Drieth reported the wrong number. The Jet player involved was Mary Lyons, number 93. I'd like to forget number 99.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: An ACC ref (I think) actually did a reprise of the famous Dreith moment last season...at least I think it was last season.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 01:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: An ACC ref (I think) actually did a reprise of the famous Dreith moment last season...at least I think it was last season.
Ron Cherry.

Dance re-mix of both calls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-s5O7n95A
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 05:54pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Ron Cherry.

Dance re-mix of both calls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl-s5O7n95A
...who is on the cover of the August issue of Referee Magazine.

Edit: Ahhh, had to watch it again... it never gets old!

Last edited by tjones1; Mon Aug 04, 2008 at 06:03pm.
Old Mon Aug 04, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I think Ben was just being too discriptive, instead of announcing a personal foul he used his "giving him the business" quote.