The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 12:13am
Chain of Fools

New CFL uni's featured on Uniwatch Blog

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2008/05/28/and-in-other-news-chipper-still-hitting-400/
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Didn't know that CFL sponsored a softball team!

Another uniform change for the sake of change. These uniform changes draw attention to the officials which is unnecessary.

Bottom line: UGLY!
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 10:29am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref
Didn't know that CFL sponsored a softball team!

Another uniform change for the sake of change. These uniform changes draw attention to the officials which is unnecessary.

Bottom line: UGLY!
With the media so prevelant at every game (TV, radio, internet streaming, satellite radio, newspaper, magazines, etc...) and with PVRs and everything, every part of the game will gain attention. The uniform change doesn't do anything that fans wouldn't already talk about.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Just wondering - did the CFL also trademark the design?
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:07pm

Link in inaccurate. Try this:

http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2008/05/...l-hitting-400/
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
And they complain about Jim Quirk. Hey, anyone notice the tape around the holding up the official's sock?

Old Fri May 30, 2008, 09:07am

Yup - things are different up here. 28 was potentially attempting to keep guys in the game.

As for the tape, it is clear hockey tape and often is used to maintain a separation from knicker and the white stripes on the stirrup. What 28's reason is for wearing the tape, I dunno.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Is that flag on the 54 1/2 yard line orange?
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Are they going to keep the stirup socks?
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 03:47pm

The stirrups are being replaced by the one-piece. This is a CFL- and CIS-only uniform change. (CIS = University Football.)

Other levels remain unchanged.

Yes, there is a flag on what looks like a x½ yard line. That it's the 54½, I can't determine that with any evidence that I see.

The two teams are the Hamilton Tigercats and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. SK are the current Grey Cup champions!

L'arbitre est l'un de nos fonctionnaires de langue française.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Do they still limit the number of good (i.e. American) football players on the teams? I seem to remember that they have to have quotas to allow Canadians to make the team. In the states we call that affirmative action.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 04:24am

The current trend is that more and more Cdn players are earning full scholarships to US schools, because more and more US scouts are proving their worth in Canada.

I believe that football in Canada went through a dark age, most likely due to economical hardships at the time. Ya it sucks, but moving forward, we are where we are today.

But to promote leading information such as the good football players being American is quite the forward thinking attitude to have. It just shows that you are ignorant.

I would like to know why more and more US schools have given jobs to Canadians instead of Americans?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 06:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Do they still limit the number of good (i.e. American) football players on the teams? I seem to remember that they have to have quotas to allow Canadians to make the team. In the states we call that affirmative action.
After Googling it, the answer is "yes". CFL teams can dress 39 players per game, and a maximum of 17 players may be "imports"- i.e American.
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

I would like to know why more and more US schools have given jobs to Canadians instead of Americans?
I don't think they have GIVEN jobs to Canadians. If a Canadian is on the roster of a college or pro team in the states, I suspect that they EARNED the position. More power to them! They earned it fair and square.

Thanks to Jurassic for answering my question, which you avoided. The fact that the CFL has to reserve spots on its teams for Canadians to have a job proves my point. In the states, the NFL uses ability as the criterion for jobs.

What would CFL rosters look like if all the spots were open to everyone and the players had to earn the spot based on ability regardless of nationality?
Old Sat May 31, 2008, 11:37pm

Quote:
I don't think they have GIVEN jobs to Canadians. If a Canadian is on the roster of a college or pro team in the states, I suspect that they EARNED the position. More power to them! They earned it fair and square.

Thanks to Jurassic for answering my question, which you avoided. The fact that the CFL has to reserve spots on its teams for Canadians to have a job proves my point. In the states, the NFL uses ability as the criterion for jobs.

What would CFL rosters look like if all the spots were open to everyone and the players had to earn the spot based on ability regardless of nationality?
It wouldn't be all American players, like you're trying to infer. Yes, there would be American players; more or less than now - who knows. What is true is that many players from the US don't even consider coming to Canada, often saying "ha ha" to such a career move.

You're the one that implied only the good players are American and that in order for a Cdn to make a team, it has to be reserved for him. If that is so, then show me evidence that the worst US player is better than the best Cdn player. Because if that isn't so, then a Cdn wouldn't need the reservation that you mention.

The fact that Cdns have earned their ways in D1 schools shows that there are many players who make a CFL roster without the rule you're referencing.

As for avoiding your question, don't be so afraid to use Google yourself. You're a grown adult - you can do it! I'll start you off: the link is www.google.com