The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Need help on a commercial (https://forum.officiating.com/football/43663-need-help-commercial.html)

BoBo Tue Apr 22, 2008 04:06pm

Need help on a commercial

I believe i saw a commercial (not sure if football or basketball or maybe something altogether different) where a person is driving around town and yelling at other people at the work or home about doing things wrong.

for some reason i believe he had to do with officials getting on fans opposed to when fans yell at officials at games.

am i dreaming or is there something out there like this?

and if so do you know what it is for? i would love to find a copy of it or look for it on you tube.

thanks

Robert Goodman Tue Apr 22, 2008 08:34pm

I recall seeing it, but IIRC it wasn't about officials, it was imagined payback by sports pros to jeering by audiences, and it was supposed to be taken seriously. I forgot which pro sports assoc. sponsored it, but my attitude is the very one it took issue with. My attitude, and that of many others, is that part of what you pay for in attending, and of what the participants are being paid for in playing, coaching, and officiating, is criticizing and otherwise razzing them loudly and as disrespectfully as desired. It simply is not comparable to people in most endeavors (as lampooned in that ad), not even most other types of performers (because your heckling, say, the orchestra could interfere with other paying customers' hearing it -- although heckling a comedian is fair game IMO because s/he's pausing for laughs). Chanting profanities, even better. Get out of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat.

OK, don't heckle true amateurs, but shamateurs like big time college sports players are fair game to heckle.

Robert

Warrenkicker Wed Apr 23, 2008 07:36am

With you being from Iowa it could have easily been the sportsmanship commercials from the Big 12. They had a series of them that included exactly what you are describing. There is also a chance that they set those up for every conference and maybe you saw a Big 10 version.

The premise for the commercial was that it isn't ok to say these things in every day life so why would it be ok to say them at a game.

Bob M. Wed Apr 23, 2008 07:50am

REPLY: I saw them too and I believe it was during the Men's NCAA Basketball Championship series. Most conferences represented show their commercials, and since Kansas was there till the end, it might well have been a Big-12 commercial.

ajmc Wed Apr 23, 2008 08:53am

Getting out of the kitchen, if you can't take the heat is one thing, allowing some fool to burn down your house is a whole different story. I can't think any sane person would argue, that "heckling" has progressed to a point that, for too many, has gone way over the top.

Like garlic, the right amount applied at the right time can enhance most any meal, but too much can spoil just about any meal as well. It's impossible to spell out and codify what, exactly, is over the top, but most sane people can quickly recognize when a heckler becomes an obnoxious fool.

Sadly, it seems more and more people have trouble understanding, or caring, when they step over the line into excessive behavior. As Americans we are each entitled to be as stupid and obnoxious as we choose, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to put up with it.

kdf5 Wed Apr 30, 2008 06:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
...My attitude, and that of many others, is that part of what you pay for in attending, and of what the participants are being paid for in playing, coaching, and officiating, is criticizing and otherwise razzing them loudly and as disrespectfully as desired.......OK, don't heckle true amateurs, but shamateurs like big time college sports players are fair game to heckle.

Robert

Heckling college kids who are 18-23 years old is wrong. I can understand emotions getting the best of someone at times but most of these kids pay to be out there, are great kids, are students who spend most of their week sitting in class, studying after class, going to practice, studying the game and trying to fit in a social life too. If you have that attitude about college kids then I seriously think you should hang it up as an official. I couldn't care less what you were to say at an NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL game but college kids should be off limits. 99% of us have no idea what they go through. It's amazing to watch and listen to some fat slob in the stands with a beer and a piece of pizza in each hand criticizing a player who's out on the field trying to do something the slob couldn't even dream of.