The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Could the fact Jeff brought them up be because they are white? Why did he not bring up Michael Vick or Adam Jones or Chris Henry? For me, this is not about race, it is about behavior.
I find it odd that you went to the "thug" label on someone that does the same thing that many players that are white do all the time. And situations that have been much higher profile. And if you want to talk about the situations with Vick, Johns and Henry, at the very least two of those individuals were criminally accused of something off the field and involved violent behavior. And if you do not like that accusation, then at the very least know the definition of the words you choose to use. Because Ward by all accounts is not only anything like the names you just mentioned and did not commit a violent act outside of the rules of football or off the field.

It is not about race to you because you probably have the ability to avoid that topic all the time. I do not have that opportunity because people assume all kinds of things about me and I have not said a single thing. Maybe Ward is a bad guy, but a thug for talking a little trash to an opponent? Come on now. If that is the case almost every player I come in contact is a thug. And it would not matter what race they are either.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Ahhh, finally, someone besides me calls Jeff out on the race issue. And that is exactly what he's making this -- a race issue.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Ahhh, finally, someone besides me calls Jeff out on the race issue. And that is exactly what he's making this -- a race issue.
Race is an issue I deal with on a regular basis. Whether it is overt or it is under the radar. If you think I am upset because you "call me out on it" then you have a lot to learn about me and this country. We just had race interjected in the current election and there was a Golf Channel Commentator that made some comments so this topic is not going away. And when people make comments about someone's criminal background (which the word Thug implies and is the definition of the word), then I have the right to point that out. Now if you do not want comments then do not post something that everyone can read and you will not have to worry about what I or others think. And I do not care if I am the only one that finds it odd (but it was pointed out by another poster BTW). I will stop talking about race when people that are not my color stop talking to me about it or implying things about me and others only on the basis of what I look like.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Race is an issue I deal with on a regular basis. Whether it is overt or it is under the radar. If you think I am upset because you "call me out on it" then you have a lot to learn about me and this country. We just had race interjected in the current election and there was a Golf Channel Commentator that made some comments so this topic is not going away. And when people make comments about someone's criminal background (which the word Thug implies and is the definition of the word), then I have the right to point that out. Now if you do not want comments then do not post something that everyone can read and you will not have to worry about what I or others think. And I do not care if I am the only one that finds it odd (but it was pointed out by another poster BTW). I will stop talking about race when people that are not my color stop talking to me about it or implying things about me and others only on the basis of what I look like.

Peace
Just because you are black does not mean you are the only one who deals with race issues on a regular basis. White people encounter it too. And where do you get the idea that I thought you were upset?? I didn't say that at all. I don't believe that the original poster meant that Hines Ward was a criminal just because he used the word thug. Thug has various definitions, and not all of them mean that someone is a criminal.

My point is, you interject race into almost any discussion you can, whether directly or indirectly, and it is generally allowed on the boards. Probably cause Brad and Company fear a lawsuit if they shut you down.

When someone such as myself brings it up, however, it is shut down immediately. Bob?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 06:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Just because you are black does not mean you are the only one who deals with race issues on a regular basis. White people encounter it too. And where do you get the idea that I thought you were upset?? I didn't say that at all. I don't believe that the original poster meant that Hines Ward was a criminal just because he used the word thug. Thug has various definitions, and not all of them mean that someone is a criminal.
What do white people encounter? You have a couple of people call you names? Wow!!! Do you have any family members that could not go to a state college which they live and work, but was paid by that state to attend a school outside of the state they live? I cannot speak for you, but I have several. There are 119 Division 1 Football teams in this country. There are about 3 or 4 Head Coaches in football. There are more than 50% of the athletes are not white. But when it comes to Athletic Directors, Coaches and other positions that require a background in this particular sport, the numbers of non-whites are minimal.

The definition of the word thug says: 1. Brutal Person: somebody, especially a criminal, who is brutal and violent.

I do not even see how what was described even had anything to do with the actions of Ward. I guess people would just like me to call the Blue dumb for not using a word properly rather than calling him a racist. Which by the way I have not said. I just found his comments odd and wondered why he would call someone something that has nothing to do with the behavior he witnessed. If you do not know the power of the words you use, then do not use them.

2. Indian Robber: a member of a former secret organization of robbers in India, worshipers of the goddess Kali, who strangled their victims.

And words associated with thug from a Thesaurus: Hooligan, Gangster, Mugger, Brute, Ruffian and Heavy.

Quote:
My point is, you interject race into almost any discussion you can, whether directly or indirectly, and it is generally allowed on the boards. Probably cause Brad and Company fear a lawsuit if they shut you down.

When someone such as myself brings it up, however, it is shut down immediately. Bob?
I do not know of the last conversation I had on this site about race. There have been no kinds of discussions in much of any context. Secondly if you do not like talking about race that is your problem. Race is something I live with every day (good or bad). And in the area I live it is always a backdrop because officials are decided many times based on the race of the officials. Now the last time I checked, there were not many African-American assignors where I live. But there are a lot of conferences that involve all-Black teams verse teams that that do not have a single Black student in their school. Then again, if you do not like it, that is your problem. I guess telling the truth hurts.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
Rivers, I don't know. But he's certainly got no lack of confidence.)
per the boys here in SD, Rivers is almost always responding to what has been said to him first. Perhaps not a very good excuse, and definitely no mention of that by ESPN et al while attempting to generate some story anyway they can, but that's the other side of the story.
So Philip is willing to fire back, what's the b!tch?
Old Fri Jan 18, 2008, 02:26am
Official Forum Member

Larry Bird was one of the "best" trash-talkers ever. These are professional athletes with millions of dollars at stake based on their success or failure. To play at that level takes talent and desire which often manifests as trash talking and rougher play than necessary. (And the 10 cups of coffee before the game doesn't hurt, either.) All these guys do is talk trash to one another. It's part of the game.

Hines Ward was named NFL's humanitarian of the year not long ago. He's a competitor.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not mean this as an insult, but you will take it that way.

It is very clear you do not watch much NFL football.

Hines Ward is one of the hardest working players in the NFL. This guy one of the hardest hitters in the NFL on the offensive side of the ball. Because of that fact he tends to get the attention of a lot of opponents that try to intimidate him or make it seem like they are not intimidated.

I am not sure why someone has to be a "thug" because they play hard or talk trash. That is what they do in the NFL. And please do not tell me this is about the kids or they are setting an example. In the pros these guys are literally putting their bodies on the line every time they play a game. And if you want to know the truth, Ward is one of the most respected and liked players in the NFL. He plays hard, he is respectful to the media, he is a team leader and he has been to the Pro Bowl a few times. He is not considered dirty; he just will hit you in the mouth if you are not paying attention.

Peace

Thug is a word that I would use to describe Michigan's new coach. Look at his history. My how the mighty have fallen.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 05:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat
Thug is a word that I would use to describe Michigan's new coach. Look at his history. My how the mighty have fallen.
And your point is?

Peace