The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Extra Point Question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/40826-extra-point-question.html)

pf7612 Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09am

Extra Point Question

Hello, I'm new here and have a quick extra point/2-point conversion question:

If your going for 2, and there is a penalty such as holding on the play, can you then change your mind and kick the extra point? I'm in an argument and don't think you can.

Thanks in advance.

Theisey Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf7612

If your going for 2, and there is a penalty such as holding on the play, can you then change your mind and kick the extra point? I'm in an argument and don't think you can.

Thanks in advance.

You didn't say the two point conversion was successful or not. :)
Team-B may decline the hold should they have stopped your TRY attempt. In that case, you don't get another chance to run any play.

Look at it this way, when any down that is "replayed" as a result of a penalty being accepted do you really think the offense has to run the same play again?
Absolutely NOT.
You can run any play you want. Run, Pass, Kick... you're choice. Hope you didn't place a bet on the result of the argument.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:19am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by pf7612

Thanks in advance.

CANADIAN RULING:

Yes, you can change your mind. The down is replayed, not what your choice is.

If A fouls during the convert attempt, and the try is unsuccesfull, B does not even have the option to replay the convert: it is enforced on the KO only.

Robert Goodman Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:22am

Think about it this way: The first time, did the captain have to inform an official, "We're going for 2."? It's not an official choice, like that of choosing a free kick rather than scrimmage from a fair catch. The play just proceeds to whatever its result is; you don't need permission to seek a particular type of score.

Robert

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
... you don't need permission to seek a particular type of score.

Hmmm......

What about a Federation free kick? After a valid fair catch, isn't R permitted to kick off of a tee for 3 points? Certainly they would have to tell the R that this is their intent.... :confused:

GarthB Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Hmmm......

What about a Federation free kick? After a valid fair catch, isn't R permitted to kick off of a tee for 3 points? Certainly they would have to tell the R that this is their intent.... :confused:

Telling the R your intent is not the same as seeking permission.

JugglingReferee Mon Jan 07, 2008 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarthB
Telling the R your intent is not the same as seeking permission.

Duh me.... good point.

Reffing Rev. Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:35am

It is also true is it not that under fed rules after a fair catch and there is a penalty on the next play the option to free kick is repeated.

The score is team A-7 team B-10 Team A fair catches a punt at the 50 with 3 seconds left in the game. They throw the deep pass which is incomplete but B is called for interference. A's ball at B35 for an untimed down, and team A can elect to free kick for 3. I can't find my case book right now but I am pretty sure I read that in a case play any comments.

Bob M. Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reffing Rev.
It is also true is it not that under fed rules after a fair catch and there is a penalty on the next play the option to free kick is repeated.

The score is team A-7 team B-10 Team A fair catches a punt at the 50 with 3 seconds left in the game. They throw the deep pass which is incomplete but B is called for interference. A's ball at B35 for an untimed down, and team A can elect to free kick for 3. I can't find my case book right now but I am pretty sure I read that in a case play any comments.

REPLY: You are 100% correct. Rule 6-5-4 covers it. Sorry...I don't have my case book with me today, but I know that this is the case.

waltjp Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:59am

FED Case Book

6.5.4 Situation: R1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone on K’s 40. K2 interferes with R1’s opportunity to make the catch. R chooses an awarded catch and to put the ball in play with a snap. During the down: (a) A1 gains 15 yards and the coach of B is charged with an unsportsmanlike foul; or (b) B2 commits pass interference; or (c) an inadvertent whistle sounds during A1’s forward pass.

Ruling: In (a), the unsportsmanlike foul during the down does not give A another choice to snap or free kick. However in (b), A may snap or free kick following penalty enforcement. In (c), the down is replayed and A has the option to snap or free kick. (10-4-4a)

Robert Goodman Tue Jan 08, 2008 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman
Think about it this way: The first time, did the captain have to inform an official, "We're going for 2."?

Although the major rules codes have never operated that way, some minor leagues have had rules like that. In the 1980s at least, there were some leagues where I was told the rule was that team A could snap from the B2 for a 1 point try, or from the B3 for a 2 point try. Considering the threat of the fake to be worth more than the yard, I'd've thought they'd snap from the 3 all the time if it maintained the option of 2 points (so the defense couldn't rush all out without taking a chance), but they didn't in the leagues where I saw that, so I inferred the rule was that they could score only 1 point if they snapped from the 2, and only via a touchdown or safety if they snapped from the 3. No word on which score would be allowed if a try initially from the B2 were to have its spot moved to or beyond the B3 via penalty, but it's possible the initial poster's supposition would've been correct as applied to, say, the Mid-East Football Conference.

Why did those leagues have such a funny rule? I think it's because at that time the only major USAn codes in which the 2 point conversion was allowed had the spot as the 3 yard line, while the NFL, which allowed only a 1 point try, had the spot as the B2 (or any spot farther back that team A chose).

Robert