The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   A Quick History Question or 2.... (https://forum.officiating.com/football/40767-quick-history-question-2-a.html)

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Thu Jan 03, 2008 05:30pm

A Quick History Question or 2....

Over on the fairly obsessive www.uniwatchblog.com, the author, who is a uniform 'expert' that writes for ESPN.com, has some video captures from the 1969 Rose Bowl (focusing on the BIG Rose Bowl patches the officials wore in those days). The question has arisen as to the armbands worn by two of the officials - was it the HL/L or was it the U/HL? What was the purpose of these? Also, I know that the NCAA only had five man crews - what were the positions in those days? I think there was only the FJ, no BJ, correct?

thanks in advance!

OverAndBack Thu Jan 03, 2008 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Over on the fairly obsessive www.uniwatchblog.com, the author, who is a uniform 'expert' that writes for ESPN.com, has some video captures from the 1969 Rose Bowl (focusing on the BIG Rose Bowl patches the officials wore in those days). The question has arisen as to the armbands worn by two of the officials - was it the HL/L or was it the U/HL? What was the purpose of these? Also, I know that the NCAA only had five man crews - what were the positions in those days? I think there was only the FJ, no BJ, correct?

thanks in advance!

a - Yeah, Uni Watch is obsessive. But in a good way.
b - The 'expert' didn't come up with the video captures.
c - We were just discussing that very thing here.

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Thu Jan 03, 2008 08:21pm

Let me guess....you are the one who sent everything into Paul....ooops...

whats your card #?

#56 here....

STEVED21 Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE

thanks in advance!

Not 100% sure but back then i believe subs had to report in & the armband signified which official to report to. I'm sure there are others here that can be more specific.

Jim D Fri Jan 04, 2008 04:59pm

During the 60's the NCAA was trying to limit platoon football with different players for offense and for defense. The thought was that they could help schools keep costs down with having fewer players who could go both ways. They had a rule where no more than two players could
substitute during a dead ball period. I don't remeber if there were exceptions for 4th down. The offense reported to the Field Judge, who wore a green armband. The defense reported to the Umpire, who wore a red armband.

Jim D Fri Jan 04, 2008 05:00pm

College crews were four or five men - depending on the conference and the game. The positions were R, U, HL, FJ and the BJ if they had a fifth.

Robert Goodman Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim D
During the 60's the NCAA was trying to limit platoon football with different players for offense and for defense. The thought was that they could help schools keep costs down with having fewer players who could go both ways. They had a rule where no more than two players could
substitute during a dead ball period. I don't remeber if there were exceptions for 4th down. The offense reported to the Field Judge, who wore a green armband. The defense reported to the Umpire, who wore a red armband.

Once they legalized offenseive & defensive platooning in the 1960s, they still wanted to prevent special teams, so on any down that was not following a change of possession or free kick, you could sub no more than 2. That didn't change until some time in the early 1970s.

Robert